Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using wool batting with unwashed cotton fabric >

Using wool batting with unwashed cotton fabric

Using wool batting with unwashed cotton fabric

Old 09-30-2015, 04:32 AM

Default Using wool batting with unwashed cotton fabric

Has anyone tried using wool batting without prewashing the quilt fabric, and machine washing/drying the finished quilt? I would like to try this, but I am wondering how it will look if the cotton shrinks, but the wool batting, which seems to come prewashed, doesn't.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I haven't used the older wool batting I have from Hobbs. I don't pre-wash my fabrics but I use Hobbs 80/20 cotton batting for most of my quilts I make. I do want to welcome you. I HOPE you find the inspiration that I do from this site.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:52 AM

I have done this with no ill effects.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

First welcome to the board. Lots of opinions and helpful tips. I am a pre-washer of everything that is going into a quilt or anything else for that matter. If I were going to wash everything after, I would do it in cold, low heat in the dryer for a short time then lay it out flat to finish drying. I have to pre-wash because I can't stand the smell and I have seen how some people handle the fabric in the stores with utter disgust. I've seen people who perspire heavily use the fabric to wipe their brows and neck areas. nuff said.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:13 AM

I am currently wrapped up in a lap quilt I made with a Hobbs wool batt and unwashed cotton. It is soft and lovely. It has been washed and dried a dozen times (wool water, low temp). I generally only pre-wash very dark fabrics.

Pam
Old 09-30-2015, 07:47 AM

Oh my God that is gross. Re-thinking the washing all fabric thing again. I usually don't wash until after the quilt is made. But now I may have to changed that after this post.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:27 PM

Thank you for your warm welcomes and responses! It's good to hear that some of you have done this without problems. I have heard that wool batting makes for a softer quilt. I have only made quilts without prewashing, and have used only warm & natural or warm & white cotton batting. The warm and white seems a little stiff after the quilt is washed. I want to try wool, but don't want to prewash those fabrics and have prewashed and non-prewashed fabrics in my scraps, as I don't think I could use both in the same quilt.

Last edited by stashhappy; 09-30-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

I have Many Times! I use Hobbs Wool or Dream Wool battings, most of my quilts contain prewashed And Not prewashed fabrics And, I always launder my finished quilts. In my world the final step to each quilt is laundering the finished project. They have always turned out beautifully! I am a Huge fan of wool batting -- and, it doesn't seem to shrink as much as cotton but adds soft, fluffy loft to the finished quilt. I launder on normal settings, warm water and toss into dryer again on normal settings. When the quilt comes out of the dryer you just want to Hug it! They are so wonderful!
Old 09-30-2015, 02:33 PM

Oh, that's so good to know! I am going to order some wool batting right now!
Old 09-30-2015, 06:33 PM

I switched to Hobbs 80/20 (80% cotton and 20% wool) a couple of months ago and doubt I'll ever use another fiber content again. It washes beautifully and I rarely prewash. No worries . . .the hand is absolutely luxurious.