Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Singer Flat Felled Foot for Binding a Quilt >

Vintage Singer Flat Felled Foot for Binding a Quilt

Vintage Singer Flat Felled Foot for Binding a Quilt

Old 12-09-2015, 08:36 PM

Default Vintage Singer Flat Felled Foot for Binding a Quilt

HI:
Last week I was in Las Vegas with my sewing tutor. She kindly was able to provide me with an inexpensive relatively new Singer. I was very excited to learn a new technique: using a Viking 8mm. flat fell foot attached with an ankle adaptor to the Singer. I was able to create a gorgeous hem with this technique. I was in heaven sewing with my new knowledge...so much fun!!!
Recently, a contributor mentioned using a flat fell foot to finish a quilt binding. The person even referred to

http://awomanaday.com/2013/01/17/hap...nding-edition/

Now I am hoping to combine my recent flat fell foot knowledge and use my vintage Singer 15 to finish a quilt binding.

I have been searching to discover the largest flat fell foot available with a Singer 15 to bind a quilt. This is my new search. Any suggestions? I have one but its probably only a 1/4 in.
I saw an industrial size 8mm. flat fell foot (side clamp model). The ad info did not mention a Singer 15. Would this work on a Singer 15?
On Ebay I also saw an extra larger "compensating presser foot" that would fit a Singer 15. Could this also be used to bind a quilt?
Thanks,
Kathy
Old 12-09-2015, 11:58 PM

I can't help but wanted to welcome you to the group. It sounds like you are having fun learning to sew, it is a great thing to do and learn. Have fun.

I just looked over the binding with the flat fell foot and it looks really interesting. I would be willing to give that a try once I find a foot to use. Thank you so much for that link. I had never heard of that before.

Last edited by sewbeadit; 12-10-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

Ther are feet that fit the different lengths on the shank. You have a short shank machine with a Singer 15. An industrial machine could be a high shank. You will need to educate yourself about the differences before you buy.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:17 AM

Welcome Kathy, thanks for sharing great tutorial. I love hand stitching binding but some times I need to use the machine.
I will look at some of my attachments.
HelenAnn
Old 12-10-2015, 05:53 AM

Miriam thanks for the info. I can use my Necchi Mira BU with the industrial size flat fell foot. That is great news!!! I do know the difference between high & low shank. I love my Necchi.
However, I am still wondering what would be the "widest" flat fell foot available for a Singer 15?
Thanks,
Kathy
Old 12-12-2015, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChattyKathy View Post
Miriam thanks for the info. I can use my Necchi Mira BU with the industrial size flat fell foot. That is great news!!! I do know the difference between high & low shank. I love my Necchi.
However, I am still wondering what would be the "widest" flat fell foot available for a Singer 15?
Thanks,
Kathy
Kathy, I read about the binding being put on with a Bernina or Janome flat felled foot, but it mentioned moving the needle position. My suggestion would be to "play around with" an adjustable hemmer. You would move the attachment position rather than the needle position. I did a google search and saw a couple of places that described doing a flat felled seam with the adjustable hemmer. I searched - felled seams "adjustable hemmer" I have a Pfaff flat felled foot but it is only 6 mm but can move the needle position by 13 places in that 6 mm space. It has been quite a while since I have played with either the adjustable hemmer of the flat felled foot. Good luck with figuring it out. I'm sure that there would be an interest if you figured out how to use the adjustable hemmer to bind a quilt on a vintage machine.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.