Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? For owners of Juki or Brother machines >

? For owners of Juki or Brother machines

? For owners of Juki or Brother machines

Old 12-23-2015, 04:05 AM

Default ? For owners of Juki or Brother machines

Do these machines come with the FMQ foot or is that a separate purchase? Also for those of you with these machines, do you have them on a frame and if so how does it work for you. Do you use pantographs? Are there any problems with it, does it have to be a certain frame or can just about any of them work? I asked about the Q'nique the other day but now my friend decided she might try one of these machines instead to save money, however every ad she's looked at doesn't say anything about the quilting foot. Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas to everyone.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

There are a Lot of different Brother and Juki machines! Some might come with the quilting foot, you would have to check the box to see what feet are included with the model you are looking at. Or, if looking at ads check the ( details) or contact/ ask the dealer who is carrying the machine. There are many different kinds of frames, best to visit the sites ( or dealers) and see what machines they recommend or if they are designed for a particular machine. Most of the machine and frame companies have blogs, tutorials, community pages to tell you all about their price...the good and the bad... Those places can answer many questions
Old 12-23-2015, 04:44 AM
Gay

Normal domestic machines do not have enough room in the throat area to roll up a good sized quilt and be able to sew a quilting design to have it on a frame. You would only be able to do a 2or 3" design, ane the more it gets rolled up the less room you have.
I have Brother embroidery machines, that come with a special free motion attachment, I think the FMQ foot is an extra, the open-toe foot is good for seeing what you are doing. You can also buy a 'hopping' foot, it has a spring that allows the foot to kind of bounce.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:47 AM

My Juki TL2010q came with 2 sizes of FMQ feet. I don't have it on a frame so can't help you there. But it is not computerized and only does straight stitches. I love it, very powerful.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:17 AM

My Juki TL98Q (previous model of the TL2010Q) came with 2 sizes of FMQ feet. My buddy and I were planning on putting it on a older model Superquilter frame and try and finish up some Community quilts. However I can't find a stitch regulator in Canada and with the US dollar exchange and the fact that this set up limits me to very little quilting space, we are now looking for something (used) that will give us the ability to stitch larger pantographs.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

You need to make sure that the machine will work with the frame you buy. If you purchase new, the manufacturer will normally have a list of compatible machines or you can contact the manufacturer and double check. Also there are at least 2 types of feet that are commonly used for FMQ: a hopping foot and a darning-type foot. Many folks use domestic machines on a frame, but be aware that you may be working with an area as small as 4" as the quilt is rolled.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

I had my Juki TL98Q on a Hinterberg stretch frame. it was very easy to do the pantos. It came with 2 FMQ feet
Old 12-23-2015, 06:06 AM

If she wants to do it stand up - my advice would be to get a larger machine. I started with a 15" and quickly decided that was a pain having to advance the quilt, and getting to the end and having a small area to work with. The lack of height can also be a deterrent - but mostly that means you are advancing and adjusting the quilt often. So it's not a horrid thing, only a disatisfier.

I just bought the Juki 2010 and it came with two FMQ feet. I don't really care for either, I prefer a much wider foot when doing sit down work. It is a high shank machine, and right now I don't have any high shank hopping feet but I know I can easily get one if wanted. Right now I have no plans of using it for FMQ as I have other machines for that. I bought this one for piecing.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

I have the Juki TL98QE and I have a darning (FMQ) Foot. It is my favorite for quilting (9") throat.
I also have a Baby Lock Jane it is good for FMQ also. Right now I piece with the Jane. Both are straight stitch only machines.
My Daughter has a Brother 1500 straight stitch only has a FMQ foot and she loves it.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:52 PM

Most of mine have come with a foot except for my low end mechanicals