Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric storage >

Fabric storage

Fabric storage

Old 12-22-2015, 12:03 PM

Default Fabric storage

I recently read that it is not wise to store fabric in plastic totes of any kind. What is the general consensus and some storage ideas?
Old 12-22-2015, 12:22 PM

I have must of my yardage in stacked cardboard boxes, because that was what I had. The plastic tote storage is how most of my friends store, if you open the totes occasionally-I would think there wouldn't be a problem. IF I had a quilting area of my own I'd have my stash in totes or on shelving.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:09 PM

I have been using the clear plastic totes from Costco for years and not had a problem. However, they are stored in my room.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:12 PM

I think the problem with plastic storage is lack of ventilation within the unit. Leaving the tops ajar and rotating the fabric, leaving it out to air from time to time would help.

I store a lot of fabric in totes and have not had a problem. However, they are bulging and the lids are not on tight.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:28 PM

I store mine in totes with no problems.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:57 PM

I've stored my fabric in plastic totes for 20+ years without a problem. I used to use cardboard boxes but you have to watch putting fabric in them. If the cardboard is not acid free (which most isn't) they can stain your fabric especially if it is stored somewhere not climate controlled.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

I store mine in Iris drawers (no longer available at JAF) and these Sterlite drawers.
Attached Thumbnails iris-drawers.jpg   sterlite-drawer-units.jpg  
Old 12-22-2015, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

Plastic totes are safe, for the most part, as are all hard plastics (because they do not outgas). The risk comes from moisture in the fabric. If your storage area is dry, then there is really not much of a problem. You can add some moisture-grabbing packets (like the ones you find in shoes and pill bottles) inside the totes if you like, for added insurance. I have stored fabric in hard plastic totes for many years with absolutely no issues, but these have always been inside the house and in dry storage.

Plastic totes could present problems if you store them in a garage with fluctuating temperatures, in an outdoor shed, or in a storage facility without controlled temperatures. It's not the temperature itself that causes the problem, but rather the condensation of moisture that can occur inside the totes.

In my opinion, cardboard boxes, wooden shelves and cedar chests are much more problematic for fabric storage because these materials exude acids that "eat" fabric. This is why some vintage quilts have brown "rust" spots along the fold lines where they were in extended contact with cedar that was still oozing acid. You can use these materials for fabric storage as long as you are aware of the problem and take appropriate protective measures -- such as covering the wood products with polyurethane.

Where did you read that plastic totes are not good for fabric storage? I think that comes from a misunderstanding of how they can be used. The biggest problem with using fabric totes is trapping moisture inside with the fabrics because hard plastic doesn't "breathe". However, most totes are not completely airtight anyway. If the environment surrounding the totes (such as a house) is suitable for fabric storage and the fabric isn't damp when put into the totes, there isn't a problem with moisture.

Edit: Soft plastics, such as garbage bags, are bad for fabric storage in part because they outgas chemicals that may not be good for fabric. Not to mention the risk of having someone accidentally mistake a bag for garbage and throw it in the trash.

Edit 2: Here is a PDF on safe storage of fabric treasures. All of these recommendations would apply to fabric storage:
http://www.mohistory.org/img/unCommo..._treasures.pdf

Last edited by Prism99; 12-22-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:13 PM

When I had my great-grandmother's quilts appraised, I asked about storing them in plastic storage units. I was told that was actually the best thing for them as long as they were taken out twice a year and refolded to avoid creases and wear on the folds. If plastic is okay for vintage quilts, it's certainly okay for my stash that has a far more active life.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:23 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.