A question - raffle

Old 02-24-2016, 09:08 PM

Default A question - raffle

What do yo mean when you said "I asked to make a quilt to raffle off for .......... benefit".

Or I did this quilt for school ruffle........

Or I asked to make a rag quilt to raffle off for dog rescue benefit. ( from a thread in this QB)

Thank you
Old 02-24-2016, 09:19 PM
Power Poster

Are you asking what a raffle is? It is when tickets are sold to raise money. The winning ticket wins the prize (whatever it is). Raffles are regulated by law, so different states in the U.S. have different rules. In general, raffled quilts raise a lot more money for an organization than auctioned quilts. Where I live, raffle tickets are usually sold for $1 each or 6 tickets for $5. Here is a link to a Wikipedia article that describes raffles:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raffle

Edit: Anyone holding a raffle needs to check the laws for their state/country. Because it is considered gambling, it is not legal everywhere.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:50 PM

Thank you Prism 99 for replying but still regarding the sentence which open this question in my head
(( asked to make a rag quilt to raffle off for dog rescue benefit. ))
She make tickets to raise money to find the dog?? and a quilt for the winner?

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Are you asking what a raffle is? It is when tickets are sold to raise money. The winning ticket wins the prize (whatever it is). Raffles are regulated by law, so different states in the U.S. have different rules. In general, raffled quilts raise a lot more money for an organization than auctioned quilts. Where I live, raffle tickets are usually sold for $1 each or 6 tickets for $5. Here is a link to a Wikipedia article that describes raffles:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raffle

Edit: Anyone holding a raffle needs to check the laws for their state/country. Because it is considered gambling, it is not legal everywhere.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:33 PM
Power Poster

She makes a quilt, gives it to the dog rescue organization, they raffle it off, and the winner of the raffle gets the quilt.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by sawsan View Post
What do yo mean when you said "I asked to make a quilt to raffle off for .......... benefit".

Or I did this quilt for school ruffle........

Or I asked to make a rag quilt to raffle off for dog rescue benefit. ( from a thread in this QB)

Thank you
A "dog rescue" is a organization that takes in abused, abandoned or stray dogs & cares for them. The raffle would raise money to help pay for food, medical & housing for the dogs. They sell tickets & the person holding the winning number on the ticket drawn gets the prize (quilt). In the USA raffles are regulated by law depending on the state you live in. Many non-profit orginaizations raffle items to raise money.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:46 PM

School raffle would work in the same way. Quilt is made and given to the school who would sell tickets to raise funds. Winning ticket is given the quilt.

sometimes organisations will ask a quilter to actually make a quilt for the raffle.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

I use to make quilts to raise fund for an organization that rescued a breed of dog called a Westie. I actually handled the rescue of three Westie. Many different organization raise funds with raffles or auctions such as schools, quilt guilds, even the Academy awards.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:17 AM

A raffle is a common method used in the U.S. for nonprofit organizations (charities) to raise money for their cause. The "prize" can be anything, goods or services (a quilt for purposes of this discussion". The organization sells tickets, or chances to win the prize, each one with a number on it. On a set date, there is a drawing, the winning number is randomly selected, and whoever bought the ticket with the winning number wins the prize/quilt. The more tickets they sell, the more money they make. This method may generate more or less than the prize is worth, it all depends upon how many tickets are sold. For example, a quilt sold in an auction may raise $200 but in a raffle if 1,000 $1.00 tickets are sold the charity gets $1,000 for the quilt. Raffles are a form of gambling, just like buying lottery tickets.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

Raffles are excellent ways to help the unfortunate.