Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Westminster dog show

Westminster dog show

Watch it every year....I always like the dogs that would never win. Have never had a "breed" dog, just curbsitters. I am fascinated by the Pulli and Comundor (sp)....they're the ones that have the cords, not fur, sort of like a rag mop.....I would like to touch their coat. I do not like how they show poodles, cocker spaniels, setters....extreme fur lengths or lack thereof. I like to hear the history of each breed. I cannot understand how the judges can pick the best of group from all the variety of breeds presented.....

I enjoy watching the show also -- It amazes me what I learn about each breed. Lots of work and love go into raising a champion dog.

Me too! It's so unfair that they continue during the commercials and we miss them.

I always get a chuckle when they say things like, this is not a breed for the inexperienced dog owner. Or this dog needs an owner who is more stubborn than the dog. He he, are you saying this breed can be a pain?
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

I love watching the regular dog show because of all the breeds but I really enjoy the agility show -- seeing all those dogs going around the course is a hoot.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    I guess this show is equivalent to Crufts in UK. I LOVE watching that. A good dog is good to one person a pain to another.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Watch it every year....I always like the dogs that would never win. Have never had a "breed" dog, just curbsitters. I am fascinated by the Pulli and Comundor (sp)....they're the ones that have the cords, not fur, sort of like a rag mop.....I would like to touch their coat. I do not like how they show poodles, cocker spaniels, setters....extreme fur lengths or lack thereof. I like to hear the history of each breed. I cannot understand how the judges can pick the best of group from all the variety of breeds presented.....
    I like to see all the breeds too, but I am partial to the poodles. I have had toy poodles since I was 16 & I am now 58. They are super intelligent & easy to train. I bred them for 26 years. All of my dogs were pets, in house never caged, slept with us. We had a bed full, LOL. I groom my own & do the show clip, but I like to also use hair bows & nail polish. At one time I had 8 poodles, all in show clips. The purpose of the show clip is how they used them for hunting many years ago. It was to keep them from getting caught in underwater vegetation during retreiving. Yes poodles were once used for hunting. People assume they are "French", however the country of origin is actually Germany. They are a high maintenance dog, requiring frequent brushing & grooming, as their hair never stops growing. This is why most owners keep them clipped short. The dogs with corded coats (Puli) never or hardly ever get brushed out, as they would look like a giant fur ball! The coat is wiry & wooly. According to info it takes 24 hours, in a drying cage with fans blowing, for the coat to dry. They are super high maintenance. Each breed is unique in it's own way, but the most important thing at the ned of the day is they all make us HAPPY .

I enjoy the show each year also. I missed it this year, I usually record it so I can watch the Terrier group and fast forward thru the breeds I have no interest in. My dad raised Airedales and since they are first in the group, if I don't record, I miss them.

At the end of the show it was stated that USA would not be telecasting the show next year. Does anyone know who will? I love watching the show every year and sure hope someone is going to telecast it next year.
    Sophie2

Blog Entries
    My husband and I had a Pudel-Pointer - hunting dog. (She is a German dog - You can google her) She is not recognized by the AKC, but she could have been shown in Europe or Canada. She looks a lot like the Wire Haired Pointing Griffon. Gorgeous dog, beautiful hunter, wonderful family dog and neighborhood dog. Tender, loving, protective and a long liver. Bridget was born in 1986 and died in our back yard in my arms Her Way September 10, 2001.

My son and daughter in law have a dog they use to protect their goats. It is a cross Comondor and Bernese Mountain Dog. It was deliberately bred that way. Ben is a sweetheart and does her job well. Ben does not have the rag mop, but has a total full coat of frizzy hair and she is beautiful, sweet and cute, too.

I have to admit I loved the Pointer (winner). I have a German Short Hair Pointer/Black Lab. Bess is 13 now and is a real curmudgeon, little old lady! Love her dearly. I love a big dog, but in the aging category of my life, I think I should be the leader - not the dog - so my next one will be Springer size and will be named with the letter B. And she will be a mutt! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I have been watching for many years too. Still waiting for my favorite breed to win. When the man said "German" I was sure it was going to be the Shepherd. There are so many different breeds. It is a great show.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Feather3--- thanks for in haircut in on the poodles...I thought it was done purely for the vanity of the human, and I felt sorry for the poor creature to have to look so bizarre...but now I know there was a safety reason initially, but now?

also thanks for the info on those adorably funny puli/ commondor breeds.......

I am always cheering on the Westie breed. I had two of them in my lifetime and adore the breed. They are happy delightful dogs and had no general problems with either tho the one I rescued was extremely shy around people.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Love Labs, Dobie's, Dalmations, I have had all those-wonderful wonderful dogs!! Someday I hope to rescue a Greyhound.
    I have had a German Shepherd, shedding was horrible even with regular monthly professional groomings. She had many health issues, she died young of a very aggressive form of Lymphosarcoma. I detected something was wrong late on a Wed. called the vet on Thurs, got her in Fri. morn, she was euthanized on Mon. I will never own another german shepherd-too many sad, difficult memories, just broke my heart... She however was a very loyal, devoted girl!
    We too are faithful viewers of the Westminister.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Feather3--- thanks for in haircut in on the poodles...I thought it was done purely for the vanity of the human, and I felt sorry for the poor creature to have to look so bizarre...but now I know there was a safety reason initially, but now?

also thanks for the info on those adorably funny puli/ commondor breeds.......
    Most dogs that have special hair cuts are done so just keeping with tradition & the rules set down by the AKC. A few still use those breeds for the origional purpose they were designed for.

The main reason many have yet to see a poodle in a show clip, in person, is it's a clip that takes a lot of time, hand scissoring, clipping, brushing, etc. Most "high maintenance" breeds, that get these special clips, you will only see done on show dogs. People that have them as pets usually keep the coat cut short.

In the past I have had 4 toy poodles. They are very smart, loving and easy to train. I always kept their hair short.
    I have a Chihuahua I adopted and 2 years ago I bought a Shih Tzu He is stubborn and wants to be boss, very good other than that. I keep his hair short also. I only buy them from an older lady just wanting a little spare cash. The dogs were all raised as family dogs. I love the high maintenance dogs as I think they have the best personalities. Just my opinion off course.
    I would rather see the dogs groomed with short hair on the show. I watch it whenever its on.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I looked for it on the nights I saw advertised and it wasn't shown here. Hopefully, it will show up as a rerun. I am also fascinated by the Puli. I do not like the poodle cuts but just enjoy seeing all the various breeds. Sometimes the handlers are more interesting than the dogs.

Blog Entries
    Although over the past 35 years, my pets have all been rescues of various breeds; the Westie has won my heart and just won't let go.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    Did you see the commercials for a car company last night on Cesear 911? Very well done. Two Golden Retrievers go to a restaurant. They come out each carrying a "dogie bag". They are patiently waiting for their car sitting on the front steps of the restaurant. The red SUV pulls up covered in mud. The window rolls down and the cat is driving.

I'm still laughing.

I actually love the Golden Retriever, Labrador Retriever, and bigger dogs like the Mastiff. I have a greyhound/lab mix right now and have owned a Golden Retriever as a kid, who unfortunately died of cancer at the age of 6. It was heartbreaking and if I ever get another Golden I will definitely ask A LOT of questions before purchasing. I have never owned a Mastiff but would love to some day. Love watching anything to do with dogs, dog shows, documentaries, etc. I'm not into hunting but the GSP that won is a beautiful dog.
    Quilting is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    Did you see the commercials for a car company last night on Cesear 911? Very well done. Two Golden Retrievers go to a restaurant. They come out each carrying a "dogie bag". They are patiently waiting for their car sitting on the front steps of the restaurant. The red SUV pulls up covered in mud. The window rolls down and the cat is driving.

I'm still laughing.
    I'm laughing now too! Have not seen that commercial, but love that line of commercials......more and more animals all earring in commercials...wonder what will be next!

Most breeds have rescues devoted to that breed, in addition to all breed rescue. One year Boxer Luv Rescue in Arizona took in 700 Boxer in just one year. That was a bad year. I will never understand why people pay hundreds of dollars to backyard breeders, then neglect their animals. Many are just let loose in the desert to defend themselves against coyotes. other predators and feral dogs. Sometimes, I truly hate people. Look for a rescue whenever possible.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
    Love Labs, Dobie's, Dalmations, I have had all those-wonderful wonderful dogs!! Someday I hope to rescue a Greyhound.
    I have had a German Shepherd, shedding was horrible even with regular monthly professional groomings. She had many health issues, she died young of a very aggressive form of Lymphosarcoma. I detected something was wrong late on a Wed. called the vet on Thurs, got her in Fri. morn, she was euthanized on Mon. I will never own another german shepherd-too many sad, difficult memories, just broke my heart... She however was a very loyal, devoted girl!
    We too are faithful viewers of the Westminister.

Sad about losing your shepherd, and so quickly from diagnosis to end! I have been told that because some popular breeds have been so " fine tuned" to bring out the so called best quality of that breed, it has weaken the line and more cancers are appearing in these weakened lines...my cousin loves and has had Rotts, but all have passed from cancers....before the newest one, had two sisters...both died of same kind of cancer and at young ages. She changed breeders....this one is healthy and aging beautifully....

there are some horror stories out there about breeders.......

I watched the show, too. A friend was supposed to have a dog in it, but I think I missed her dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie2 View Post
    At the end of the show it was stated that USA would not be telecasting the show next year. Does anyone know who will? I love watching the show every year and sure hope someone is going to telecast it next year.
    If USA doesn't carry it, there's always the Westminster Kennel Club site.

You can poke around this Westminster site and watch 2016 (and prior years) videos of best of breed, individual breed and group judging, agility and obedience competitions. Take care, it's easy to spend hours watching the dogs and handlers. Some of the more popular breeds' judging took an hour.

I love watching the obedience videos and agility dogs; nice to see "All American Dog" included. An entire morning was lost as I wandered through the various categories.

Last edited by MattieMae; 02-20-2016 at 07:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast