Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spiral FMQ help >

Spiral FMQ help

Spiral FMQ help

Old 05-27-2016, 05:10 AM

Default Spiral FMQ help

Still having a terrible time with spirals....any other hints or video suggestions?

Here is today's attempt on a sandwich.

Watson

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550937[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscn8527_zpsalhlyvhg.jpg  
Old 05-27-2016, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

When you are FMQ, what are you looking at. Try to look a little ahead of where you actually want to go. I would suggest try following a line and once you get that down, you should see improvement. It took me many years before I felt confident to stitch stippling.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

When I first started to fmq I thought I had to do feathers, spirals, circles, and stipple. Then I realized it would take me several years of lots of practice for all of them. I don't have the time or passion to devote to many fmq designs. I chose a design that is simple, I know I can do it and it looks great on most all quilt patterns. I save the other designs for the LA's computer. I think your spirals are nice. The stitches are the same size.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:59 AM

I was so intimidated by FMQ til one day I decided to sacrifice a runner & just go for it. To this day all I can do is meandering. I thought my work was sloppy but people think I'm so clever & talented. So I stopped being so critical of my work. Once a pc. is done even I think I'm pretty clever. LOL.
I just don't feel I have to be so fussy about learning the beautiful work some people do. I just want to enjoy my limits.
Why don't you just play around with meandering & move on to patterns when you feel more adventuresome?
Old 05-27-2016, 07:02 AM

PS. I think your spirals are great. If that was done on a whole pc. You wouldn't even see the irregularities that are bothering you. As long as I've done ZfMQ, I couldn't come close to what you've done. Be proud.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
PS. I think your spirals are great. If that was done on a whole pc. You wouldn't even see the irregularities that are bothering you. As long as I've done ZfMQ, I couldn't come close to what you've done. Be proud.
I was thinking the same thing! (how nice they look and if you did it all over a quilt, it would be "AMAZING!")
Old 05-27-2016, 07:46 AM

When I am learning a new FMQ pattern I practice it over and over on a small white board until I feel like I know how to move around the space and it becomes almost automatic. Spirals are tough because of the spacing to leave room on the way in to get out again. Paper (white board) practice will help you judge that.

Your spirals aren't bad and with practice will get better. Don't be too hard on yourself. The thread color here makes any irregularity show up a lot. With a thread that is closer to the fabric color these same spirals would make you happier. Just keep with it. And remember this is "hand made" and shouldn't look like a robot did it.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:13 AM

I think they look fantastic!
Old 05-27-2016, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

i think they look great. i'm still at loops, can't stipple yet.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

I also think they look pretty good. For consistent spacing I try and use the edge of my foot as a guide, but that is pretty limiting.