Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Asked another way, what to do with all this fabric >

Asked another way, what to do with all this fabric

Asked another way, what to do with all this fabric

Old 06-24-2016, 07:33 AM

Default Asked another way, what to do with all this fabric

I posted yesterday about helping with deciding on a "complex" quilt to do, but I decided I should ask my question in a different way, since "complex" means many things!

My DH (heavy emphasis on the "dear" part ;-) ) told me the other day that he wanted to "buy me something". I've been helping him a lot with his father since his mother suddenly passed away this spring, and he figured I needed a reward. After some going back and forth on "helping is its own reward" and all that, I said "oh, all right, what do you want to give me?" ;-) (you know, I figured it would be big of me to give in and stop arguing ;-) ) . He said, "how about a piece of jewelry?" I said, "how 'bout I spend that jewelry money on fabric!" So my budget was $500 and I went to all the online sales. (I have to explain this because I always feel guilty about buying more fabric. I have a LOT!).

Posted below is a picture of half of my bauble. The other half is coming via a couple other stores. Wonderfully, it looks like more cost than it is. I spent no more than $7/yard, most is half yards, and some I only spent $2/yd!

Anyway, the reason I was asking about doing something complex or "meaty" is because I want my bauble to be wall hangable. I have a huge wall where I can hang it. I'd like to use most if not ALL of the fabrics plus others if I decide to. And I want it to be something especially neat. I love the fabrics I've gotten so far all together, so I've thought of something simple, like a sort of "rail fence" wherein I make wide rails for some of the light-to-dark color ranges and super narrow rails for others so it looks really cool and artsy while still retaining that gradation that I am loving so much just looking at the fabrics. I've thought of other ideas that would simply display the fabric. But it would be nice to do something more challenging.

Again, New York Beauty comes to mind, but I don't like paper piecing because of wastefulness. I may do it anyway, but cut out the templates instead of paper piecing.

I like people's ideas from the other thread. I do like things like the Bonnie Hunter mysteries, but her quilts are so busy, I wonder if all of these pretty pieces would get a little lost.

So, if you had this bunch of fabric, plus more coming that would include more of the same, plus an addition of a light to dark purple range and some more yellows, what would you do with it?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552740[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bauble.jpg  
Old 06-24-2016, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

If the point of the project is to show off the different fabrics - maybe keep the blocks comparatively simple and the pieces comparatively large -

Nice thank you from DH - and why not get something you really want?
Old 06-24-2016, 07:52 AM

If its on a large wall, you are going to look at it a lot!!!! Plus it will always be emotionally tagged as a gift from hubby as a thank you during a dramatic life event.......so you better love it a lot. That said, you ought to make the choice yourself....I recommend trolling the pinterest.com site and finding a quilt that you love, then we can help with color choices or finding/making a pattern for you.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:12 AM

Has Trip Around the World been mentioned? I've never done one of those, but it is on my list... Your choice of fabrics is fantastic and can't wait to see what you come up with!
Old 06-24-2016, 09:09 AM

I've spent loads of time on Pinterest, just haven't clicked with anything. I'm using you all as an additional resource in the mix. Such great minds as yours might inspire me more than Pinterest!
Old 06-24-2016, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by recycler View Post
Has Trip Around the World been mentioned? I've never done one of those, but it is on my list... Your choice of fabrics is fantastic and can't wait to see what you come up with!
Yeah, a Rainbow Trip would be really pretty.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:27 AM

Check out the free patterns tab on Bonnie Hunter's blog
quiltville.blogspot.com
Old 06-24-2016, 10:02 AM

I was going to suggest Jinny Beyer's Crystal Star Pattern (https://www.jinnybeyer.com/ax_commer...52BBA8F71963B5) It uses 150 fabrics. Yes, it's paper pieced, but really, there's no prize for dying with the most fabric. You may as well make something beautiful with it.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Or you could do this as the center of a group with smaller on each side.
Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I was going to suggest Jinny Beyer's Crystal Star Pattern (https://www.jinnybeyer.com/ax_commer...52BBA8F71963B5) It uses 150 fabrics. Yes, it's paper pieced, but really, there's no prize for dying with the most fabric. You may as well make something beautiful with it.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:14 AM
DJ

Wouldn't the shades of color be lovely in a bargello? And it would make such a striking wall hanging. Your fabrics are gorgeous!