Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Writing a quilt pattern - Tips needed please >

Writing a quilt pattern - Tips needed please

Writing a quilt pattern - Tips needed please

Old 07-12-2016, 11:11 PM

Default Writing a quilt pattern - Tips needed please

Good Morning Everyone

I am a beginner quilter and I recently designed a quilt on my computer using excel. I am now at the stage where I need to write out the pattern and desperately need tips as I have not done this before. Would you start with the obvious elements, for example the stars, and build around those; would you tackle it row by row? I would also like to know if there are instructions for creating a block like the one attached, an HST with a block in one corner? I can't seem to find one on the internet.

Many thanks
Vicki
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HST sample1.pdf (3.3 KB, 552 views)
Old 07-13-2016, 01:37 AM
Power Poster

I never knew your could draw a quilt on Excel but I have a very old version 2003 of Office. Do you have any quilt magazines to see how published authors deal with writing instructions? I make most of my quilt on my own so there is different ways I go about creating the blocks for a quilt. You might even want to invest in Electric Quilt program. Many quilter here are still using version 5 which can be very reasonable in price. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:02 AM

Google shaded four patch for instructions to make that block
Old 07-13-2016, 05:50 AM

I think the best way is to start simple and build it. Once you get it written, test it among quilting friends and see if they can follow it. In my Bee, we take turns teaching a block or technique. It's amazing how something I think is so simple is complicated to others and vice versa.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:18 AM

Earlier this year, Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs along with other bloggers had a series of blog posts about drafting quilt patterns. Maybe it would help: http://meadowmistdesigns.blogspot.co...og-series.html
Old 07-13-2016, 11:35 AM

Most patterns seem to follow a similar organization:

1. A picture of the finished quilt, although sometimes this is at the end of the instructions
2. The description of the pattern which includes the sizes you can make and any other special notes. For example, if a special template is required.
3. Fabric requirements
4. Cutting instructions
5. How to assemble/sew the pieces together, one part at a time, giving pictures if applicable
6. Final finishing touches - binding, special applique, label
Old 07-13-2016, 10:28 PM

Thank you everyone! I just googled Meadow Mist Designs and Cheryl's blog posts are awesome! Exactly what I was looking for. I will break the quilt down into blocks and start from there. Might have bitten off more than I can chew but I'm going to give it a go!
Old 07-15-2016, 07:34 AM

I always appreciate the direction to press and the size each unit should be when completed.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:00 PM

What ever you do, ask someone to take your pattern and test it out. I recently made a pattern, that was a nightmare. The designer, called one piece by 2 names on different pages. Even a teacher that helped me through it was very confused. Also, both of us thought that the process could have been done much easier and nicer than what the pattern instructed the quilter to do.
Ask someone you trust to make the pattern without your help.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by railroad View Post
I always appreciate the direction to press and the size each unit should be when completed.
Along with the other suggestions, this one stood out for me. We're often taught to press to the darker print but as I'm sure you know, this doesn't always work. When writing a pattern, instructions such as, "press 6 HSTs to dark fabric and 8 HSTs to light fabric" should be included as a matter of course.

I used to teach lecturers and the most common mistake that people make when giving instructions (on anything) is that people assume knowledge the learner does not have. In other words, SPELL IT OUT (without over complicating it, of course). I admire your ambition - good luck!