Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pattern Writing

Has anyone in the group considered writing patterns??

I posted a picture of the Friendship Star with a chain effect added to it. Had though about venturing into pattern writing with this particular project and making it available for free. This way, maybe I could get some feedback on the writing, etc.

Blog Entries
    I never writen a pattern before. But I would go for it. You may want to have it copy right though so no one clames it's theirs.

Kara I love your friendship quilt and would love to have the pattern.
    Go for writing the pattern!
    tine

Go for it. Just make each step really simple for beginners.
    I'd definately make one. I thought yours looked really good.

I draft my patterns in AutoSketch, which is a smaller application of AutoCad. I draw each step out in there first, then I write the actual step-by-step instructions in Excel. Excel is really nice for word processing because you don't have to create text boxes - you can just place the text and pictures wherever you want them. Excel is also nice because I can make just one file with several pages - Supply list, cutting instructions, shop notes (what the quilt shop will want to have on hand to sell when this class is being taught), sewing instructions, Cover and back sheets. Usually, I then save the excel file as a pdf file because it's more accessible to more people.

I use my EQ4 to take some of the math out of the size options. I can experiment with different size borders, etc. in there to figure the finished quilt sizes and save the calculator work!