Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie sewing machine with FMQ capability? >

Newbie sewing machine with FMQ capability?

Newbie sewing machine with FMQ capability?

Old 07-20-2016, 03:57 PM

Default Newbie sewing machine with FMQ capability?

Hi folks, I'm taking a friend to a big sewing machine store. She doesn't have a sewing machine and had a lot of fun quilting with me a few weekends ago. Lets say budget of around $500. Any suggestions? It should have a walking foot and FMQ capability.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

For that price range I think you'll get more for your money with a Brother.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

I agree. I would have her look at Brother sewing machines at Walmart. Things she really wants for quilting would be needle down, ability to adjust stitch length and stitch width, ability to drop feed dogs, and the ability to do a reverse blind hem stitch (for applique). I'm pretty sure the Brother machine at Walmart that runs about $300 has all of those capabilities. Plus, if she doesn't like the machine she can return it within the return period. Many dealerships do not allow a return; all you can do is exchange.

Edit: Another good option is to buy a used machine at a dealership. When shopping for a machine, be sure to bring some fabrics of your own to try out with the machine. Places that sell machines typically have sample fabrics that are very stiffly starched because stitches look more perfect that way. You want to see how the machine sews on unstarched cottons and perhaps also on silky fabrics and knits. Also, pay attention to how much noise the machine makes. A noisy machine tends to indicate parts that are not machined as accurately as those in a quiet machine.

Last edited by Prism99; 07-20-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:57 PM

I agree with the Walmart Brother sewing machine. I got one for $200.00 SQ9185 and it sews beautifully, comes with walking foot, a quilt guide and lots of stitches. I've made many a quilt on mine only none bigger than 50 x 60.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:54 PM

Any sewing machine that works can do FMQ. I agree with Prism about seriously considering a good used machine for that price point. Should be able to get a relatively new, gently used Bernina 210, 215 or 350 for that price with walking & darning (FMQ) feet, plus will get classes at the shop to learn how to use it. Bernina's are almost all metal parts -- a bit more expensive up front but will last a very long time. Only potential downsides are basic Bernina's have far fewer decorative stitches than Brother & a smaller throat.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

I believe the lower-end Bernina's are no better than other made-abroad machines these days. They used to be all metal, but those days are long gone.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:11 PM

The juki do a range in that price range which adjust for quilting and the ones I've seen are metal parts. If you look at metal machines beware of them brig heavy to carry.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:17 AM
Power Poster

I bought my last two high end machines from Amazon (not third party seller) No hassle return if I don't like it. The dealer here was upset I bought the same machine from Amazon she was selling at her shop for the same price. I asked her if she had a 30 day return, she said no, no return at all. If the machine had a problem it would be fixed. I said well it's Amazon for me. I did send one back, the bobbin took a lot of fussing to insert, that was frustrating after a few times.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

As far as I know, all DSM have FMQ because even when I bought my Bernina in the 90s, it had a darning foot which is what they called those feet back then. I would suggest going to a quilt show where good deals can be made since the salespeople are motivated to have have good sale prices since they don't want to have to take the merchandise back to their business and those machines are now called "open box".
Old 07-21-2016, 05:41 AM

I've been very happy with the entry level Janomes. You might have her test drive different brands and see if one appeals to her more than others...