Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Looking for some direction for tuning up a basic Kenmore >

Looking for some direction for tuning up a basic Kenmore

Looking for some direction for tuning up a basic Kenmore

Old 08-01-2016, 07:54 AM

Default Looking for some direction for tuning up a basic Kenmore

Hello; I moved this here as suggested. I would like to revive my first sewing machine it is a Kenmore front loading bobbin 8 stitch, which I bought new about 20 ish years ago. It was a good basic machine, that got a fair amount of abuse. It has been shelved for 10 years or so waiting for someone to fix it. It has been oiled, and all the dirt etc cleaned up. The wheel moves freely when you use the foot pedal and sounds good but when you hand crank there is resistance but no sticking, when the needle is at the highest and lowest part of the rotation. The bigger issue it the top thread gets caught by the hook and is pulled down the side of the bobbin but then does not come off the hook to move over to the right side of the bobbin and then back up to catch the bobbin thread and up and out the hole of the needle plate. I did have to adjust the timing as initially the thread was not getting caught by the hook, I have changed my needle and it only goes in one way so I know its correct. The tension feels good on both top and bottom. Is it possible that the hook is not being rotated enough is that even a possibility?? What could be the cause of the top thread not following all the way around the bobbin and back out? I am trying to do this myself, it wouldn't be worth the cost of taking it into a repair shop. Thanks for any input
Old 08-01-2016, 04:40 PM

looks like all the Kenmore fans moved to the VSS board.

Sounds like your machine is still not timed correctly. So the takeup lever is pulling up slack in the thread BEFORE it's slipped off the end of the hook. There is usually only a very specific spot for timing to be correct - too far one way and it won't catch the thread from the needle, and too far the other way and it won't slip off the hook (usually causes broken/shredded thread).
Old 08-02-2016, 09:18 AM

Maybe your hook has a ding on it. Try running a stocking over it to check for that.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:00 PM

Hello, thanks I did check the hook and didn't feel or see any nicks. I will go back and work with the timing. I appreciate the direction, it's so helpful to get advice from those who have the knowledge. thanks!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:44 PM

I use the Kenmore machines and they sew like a dream. Make sure you hold your threads when you start to sew. Otherwise I think it might be the timing is still off some. Good luck!
Old 08-03-2016, 05:15 PM

If it's not the timing, the thread passage is too tight. That's the space between where the hook and driver "kiss." There should only be enough room for one or two threads to get through.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:01 PM

Thanks everyone I did get the timing corrected and was able to get the thread up and around. Unfortunately I discovered that the timing will never stay set as the (teeth?) gears cogs have been damaged on both the metal and plastic. Which causes the timing to slip. Too many projects with arctic fleece and not enough patients/care. The belt has ware on the cogs as well. Even if I could find the parts I wouldn't know how to do this repair. Soooo no luck fixing this one, I am sad to admit defeat but I got a lot out this machine learned a lot about sewing and now I know more about the machines. Good news I found a kenmore 12 at the thrift store seems in working order for 10$. Needs cleaning and likely some oil makes it easier to let go of the first one. Thanks again
Old 08-11-2016, 01:27 PM

Damaged metal gears is not that common, it can happen, usually it's fine cracks developing over time, so called metal fatigue. Gears might need replacement, rubber belts usually needs to be replaced sooner or later and expected within the lifetime of a machine. If it's a very nice model, it can be worth the repair (I never was able to identify you 8 stitch model), but if there are better built models available, I agree, rather dedicate your efforts on one of them. Some vintage machines are fanstatic that way, after a fix up, they will service you for life.

I googled Kenomore 12, but couldn't find anything definitive. Does it look like this one? If so, it looks like it's well worth spending a bit of time and effort on, even a service :- )

Last edited by Mickey2; 08-11-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:49 PM

Mickey, thanks these machines are the in the 385 series, this style is not new they been around probably since the 80's??. The 8 -12 refer to the # of stitches. Not sure that they qualify as a vintage machine but I don't think this style is carried in stores anymore. not a lot of fix it info on this machine either. I think with the proper care the 12 should work for me for many years to come.
at ,
Old 08-11-2016, 07:04 PM

That's a Janome made Kenmore and parts are still available and are fairly inexpensive. Some new Janome's are still using that basic design.