Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas For Small Gifts to Make for A Quilter >

Ideas For Small Gifts to Make for A Quilter

Ideas For Small Gifts to Make for A Quilter

Old 08-15-2016, 04:16 PM

Default Ideas For Small Gifts to Make for A Quilter

I just took over membership for my guild, and also do a lot of swaps. What are some of the most useful small, inexpensive items that can be made or bought as a gift for someone who quilts or sews?

What is the most useful gift you've gotten as a retreat, swap, secret pal, etc gift?

What is something you got and have never used?

What do you have a bunch of and just don't need anymore?
Old 08-15-2016, 04:24 PM

Maybe needle book/cases??
http://tipnut.com/26-free-tutorials-...e-books-cases/

Kleenex holder?
http://tipnut.com/26-free-tutorials-...e-books-cases/
Old 08-15-2016, 04:28 PM

I won some fat quarters last month at my quilt guild. I love fat quarters. Brenda
Old 08-15-2016, 04:33 PM

I'm sure having fun with the Sweetpea Pods by Lazy Girl Designs. http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/bag-d...pper-technique If you start with a 9" square instead of a 10" square, you can use the 14" zippers. If you can find zipper by the yard with seperate zipper pulls, it's pretty cheap.

I figured out that if you made 40 of them, used a layer cake, 9 yds of zipper by the yard, with 40 zipper pulls, that would be about 40 + 13.50 + 10.00 = 63.50 / 40 = 1.59 each.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:37 PM

My favorite is a pincushion made from one of those little flat bottom prep bowls. Put a little pompon on top to looke like a cupcake. It will not tip or roll off the table.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:08 PM

I am not a guild member nor do I do swaps. Just my 2 cents. I really like the peapods - lots of uses for those. Or perhaps a pair of small snips? Don't think we can ever have enough snips.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

One of the guilds I belong to has new member tote bags. Each new member gets one. The bag includes a member book with all members and phone numbers listed, copy of the by laws, meeting agenda, guild calendar of events and a member pin and card. A new rotary cutter, a 5" x 10" EZ Jelly Roll ruler (for charm and layer cake cutting) and a jelly roll. We may have a couple of new members a year so the expense isn't much at all.

I gave each of my sew group a composition book of graph paper and a box of colored pencils. I made fabric covers for the books. with an outside pocket to hole the box of pencils. I bought a lot of the books and pencils at the back to school sale so each gift cost me under $3. I didn't count the cost of fabric for the cover, it was sitting in my stash so I consider that free.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:37 PM

Wow Onebyone! I want to join your guild!

I suggest a seam ripper. I love the rotary cutter idea. A collection of neutral threads might be nice.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:30 PM

at our retreats there are a number of small gifts given--frankly, I have way more pincushions that I could ever use! A weighted pincushion with attached thread catcher is by far the best gift! I also like the table cover that goes under the machine and has some front pockets to hold snips, etc. I also use the mug rugs given out, the little "apron" that goes around a mug to hold tools and pencils, a little pad/pencil combo that is covered with fabric; and the little tart paper holder filled with homemade hand pomade (like BagBalm).

If you are purchasing something, one thing I LOVE and buy in quantity if I find them, are cheap snips-nothing fancy, but the blades are always sharp--the handles are either red, blue, green enamel paint and cost about $3.68/pair.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:34 PM

I would like to vote for tweezers. When I was at a LQS the other day they had the best tweezers for only $4.00 a piece and up until then I hadn't thought of keeping a pair in my sewing basket until then and I have been quilting since 1978 and when I needed tweezers I would just get them out of the bathroom, now I have them in my sewing room.

I also like the extra seam ripper - one can never have too many. If for no other reason those little buggers love to play hide and seek.