Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Ideas for small graduation gifts?

My daughter will be graduating in June and I'd love to make some type of small gift for her and 6 of her friends who I've know since I had them in Brownies years ago. I've already made them each a wonder wallet and chicken pincushions--I'm running out of ideas. The wise woman would've had in idea by now, but that wouldn't be me. :?

Blog Entries
    Mug rug?

Tote bags with their name on it?

Blog Entries
    if they have cell phone (make some cell phone cases)

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Cosmetic bags?? Not sure how old these girls are.

Thanks so much Peg, Grama, CraftyBear and Susan for the ideas--I'll let you all know what I end up whipping up.

Blog Entries
    Do they have a kindle?? What about a quilted kindle cover. There are many free patterns if you google it.

Pillowcases are a great gift. If they are going to college, a drawstring laundry bag is another idea. My son used one to bring his laundry to my house to visit the washer and dryer.

A pocketbook?

When my daughter and her friends graduated last year I made them Runaround Bags by Lazy Girl Designs. I got the pattern at JoAnns with a 40% off coupon. It takes two coordinated fat quarters and a zipper. If you are afraid of or just don't like zippers this has special instructions for installing the zipper - REALLY EASY! The girls all loved the bag & used them running around campus to start college this past fall.

After being inspired by Susan's cosmetic bag idea, I googled "Easy cosmetic bags to make" and found a really cute Pyramid Purse--looks fast and easy.

http://tipnut.com/makeup-bags/

Thanks so much for all the inspiring ideas--I'm going to keep them all in mind for Christmas too!

Senior Member raspberryparade09's Avatar
    I took a picture of my daughter and two of her friends that she has shown horses with, printed the picture on fabric, and made them each a small rectangler pillow. I used horsey fabric, put a big ruffle on them.

I'd include a picture....but I don't know how to attach it!
    Wow! I figured it out!

Thanks for the Make-up bag link - I love it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

When my daughter was due to graduate, I felt like she was all grown up and would be leaving home sooner than I wanted. Reflecting back on her childhood, I could see the bright twinkly eyes and turned up nose framed by the curly blonde hair... and hear the heart warmimg laughter that can curl a mothers toes with happiness. I dearly miss those days when she would slip her small hand in mine whenever we journeyed outside our home.
    Selfishly I purchased a case of bubbles (the kind with the wand that we played with when she was little) and gave a bottle to each of her classmates with a poem I wrote about staying young at heart, even though time had turned them into promising young adults. The poem instructed them to take out their bubbles whenever they felt the need to revisit their carefree innocent childhood. Graduation night, to my surprise they brought their bubbles and filled the small auditorum with the small irridescent spheres while each student took their walk across the stage.

I like the idea of pillow cases . They are fast and easy to make. Since you knew them since Brownies , I would get some Brownie fabric and use that for the cuff of the pillowcase.The main part of the pillowcase , I would choose a fabric according to their hobbies, what they are studyng to be etc.They would really appreciate them.

Blog Entries
    How about a quilt that has a pocket on one end that you fold into it and makes a pillow? They make up fairly fast.

edensgaite, you made me want to cry. I know how hard it is to let her go. That was a warm and wonderful idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Juphvi
    My daughter will be graduating in June and I'd love to make some type of small gift for her and 6 of her friends who I've know since I had them in Brownies years ago. I've already made them each a wonder wallet and chicken pincushions--I'm running out of ideas. The wise woman would've had in idea by now, but that wouldn't be me. :?
    Here is a link to a tute for a small water bottle tote. Maybe you could include a reusable water bottle to go along with it.
    http://pinkchalkstudio.com/blog/2006...ottle-carrier/

Quote Originally Posted by quilter53
    edensgaite, you made me want to cry. I know how hard it is to let her go. That was a warm and wonderful idea.
    Thank you. It's a time I'll cherish always

Power Poster
    A memory quilt!
    Just give them one piece of it for graduation, then you "buy" the time you need to finish them!

I get the 24 inch pillow forms (with a coupon, of course) and cover it with a quilted square (quilted squares) in an envelope style. With the envelpe style, when the cover is taken off and washed, THEY can put the cover back on.

For the guys, I made the cover out of cut up jeans.

WONDERFUL for college studying on the bed.

how about small snap bags for makeup? They are easy to make and the girls love them. No zipper and you can make 6 in one long evening...or two.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Juphvi
    After being inspired by Susan's cosmetic bag idea, I googled "Easy cosmetic bags to make" and found a really cute Pyramid Purse--looks fast and easy.

http://tipnut.com/makeup-bags/

Thanks so much for all the inspiring ideas--I'm going to keep them all in mind for Christmas too!
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE that tipnut website. Everyone should really check it out sometime. :)