Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Best Laid Plans..... >

The Best Laid Plans.....

The Best Laid Plans.....

Old 12-07-2016, 01:28 PM

Default The Best Laid Plans.....

You know how that goes....

I am doing a large wall hanging in a collage technique and had planned to satin stitch in between each piece of fabric on the seam line, with the intention to make it look sort of like a stained glass effect.

I was at the LQS today and the lovely owner there has done a workshop on collage and told me that if I do that, it will ruin the blending effect of the fabrics and it will look patchy. She gave me the names of some artists who do collage and they put tulle over the piece and then quilt over that, randomly.

I've spent months on this and don't want to ruin it now.

Does anyone have experience with this? Know of any on-line tutorials?

I'm kind of at a stand-still because I thought I really had this planned out and now it seems I have to change direction...

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

Watson
Old 12-07-2016, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

I think the tulle is a great idea. You want to be sure to get the very fine bridal type of tulle, or organza. Here is a link that might be helpful: https://satinmoon.wordpress.com/2010...ther-ephemera/
Old 12-07-2016, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

It depends on the look you want. A collage has a more blended look and a stainglass effect has divisions between the fabrics.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:41 PM

Since it is your piece, and you have planned it the way you envision it, you can do it the way you want. Maybe look at some of the other collage pieces that people have made and see which look you prefer. If you like the seams then maybe you can just call it stained glass work instead. Or call it what ever you want, it is your creation! There is room for many variations in this world!
Old 12-07-2016, 03:06 PM

I agree. It's your quilt, you can do what you want. There is no right or wrong way to do most things. If you want the blended collage look, you probably wouldn't want to satin stitch, but if you more of a stained glass look, go ahead and satin stitch. Don't let others tell you that what you are doing is "wrong". Any time someone tells me out of hand that something is "wrong" I question how they know it's wrong.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:24 PM

I agree that it is your choice. I know someone that is always tells me that the major opinion is this or that. Maybe the minority's opinion is what I like too. Try placing a 1/4 inch bias tape over your seams and see if it pleases you.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:57 PM

Perhaps you're creating your own technique. It sounds beautiful. I'd stay the course and then be sure to drop by the shop with it.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 12-07-2016, 04:09 PM

I think I am going to make a small piece, maybe 10x10 and see how it looks.

I'm not sure I was very clear to the lady in the LQS that I was thinking of stained glass look. She was just trying to be helpful using her own experience and I appreciate that.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

Watson
Old 12-07-2016, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

You could also use threadplay to get the pieces secured without losing the blending effect.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:32 PM

check out Pinterest for some examples--there's a male quilter that makes amazing art quilts using the method the LQS lady suggested--just blows me away. Let me see if I can find the name.