Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Does anyone here FMQ on a Singer 66? (AKA The best laid plans....)

Does anyone here FMQ on a Singer 66? (AKA The best laid plans....)

Sometimes our best-laid plans go a little awry, right?! I have a Singer 66 Red-Eye (my Ambrozina!) that I just purchased a motor for... so now she can be used either hand-crank or electric. Awesome! Then I decided to buy a feed dog cover plate for her, so I could try FMQ. Got it yesterday...perfect! I'm very pleased. (Fantastic service from Sew-Classic.com, by the way.)

However, this morning I am thinking....she's a back-clamp machine... uh-oh! What do I do about a FMQ foot? I've researched, and it looks like a darning foot was never made for these back-clamp machines anyway, so I won't bother trying to find one (all of the back-clamp feet seem to be dearly priced, when they can be found at all).

Do I try rigging up a darning spring? Change out the machine to be a side-clamp? (I have the directions saved, but that may be a little above my expertise!) I'm stumped right now. Any ideas, folks?

Blog Entries
    I have done some FMQ on my Red Eye, but she has regular side clamping feet. To set it up for FMQ, I removed the feed dogs, saving them carefully for when I want to put them back someday. Did your machine come with a quilting foot? It has open, short feet and a side guide for keeping things even. I'll try to attach a photo of mine here. Oops, sorry about the huge photo. Anyhow, if you should need a set of attachments for your back-clamping machine, I have a set I'd be willing to part with, since I don't have a back-clamping machine of my own.Name:  IMG_1675.JPG
Views: 583
Size:  859.3 KB
    Last edited by jlm5419; 11-16-2011 at 08:52 AM.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I love my darning spring!!! Works better than anything.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

I just got a red eye singer 66. Haven't had a chance to sew on it yet. Does the feed dogs drop? I didn't think so? I do my FM on a Singer 15, feed dogs drop on it. I don't use any foot for it! Thanks for the information, I am looking at the attachments, got a lot of them! NOt sure what a darning spring foot looks like.

Blog Entries
    JLM - thanks for identifying the foot
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

from Illinois but living in Ft. Myers,Florida
    Ask Lost51-he knows all about this stuff.

Junior Member thevintageseamstress's Avatar
    I have on mine, I use a spring thingie that fits right on the needle bar not the foot bar. It works pretty good but I use the same color bobbin thread as the top thread in case of any looping. I tried putting one of those magic bobbin washers under the bobbin but it did not work, it made it worse. I prefer to use the 15-91 for fmq but you can use your 66.
    Gwen
    Did you say you dropped the pie!

I have heard of people FMQ with no foot at all.. and I've seen springed needles for doing just that -- just be very careful not to jerk the needle and break it in the layers of you quilt....

Thanks guys! I already have a darning spring so I'll give that a try... in fact, I think I even have one of those needles that shnnn mentioned, with the spring attached, which I forgot was in my collection of "stuff". I'm determined to get this to work, one way or another!

I have seven treadle machines in my collection of machines and have these feet for quilting. However when I tried quilting with them in straight lines, a while back now, I found the fabric puckered a bit. Is there a trick to using these that may help me as I am about to try some more quilting on them? (For FMQ I tape a shiny business card over the feed dogs with a small hole I have made manually in it. )

I just posted a reply and it showed for a minute then it disappeared......what happened? I have the quilting foot in the photo above by jlm459 however my seams puckered when I quilted, how do I stop that from happening please?

Quote Originally Posted by Wings View Post
    I just posted a reply and it showed for a minute then it disappeared......what happened? I have the quilting foot in the photo above by jlm459 however my seams puckered when I quilted, how do I stop that from happening please?
    Maybe the presser foot pressure needs to be adjusted for it? when doing straight lines on my 15-91 I use my regular presser foot and have had less trouble with that than a walking foot on it.

Thanks for that shnn - I will try it! Had not thought of that, was so used to using a walking foot that I just felt the foot was a failure for some reason. One sewing teacher told me to use ordinary pins every few inches and that works, she said years ago when walking feet did not exist that was how she had done it on her electric machine.

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings View Post
    Actually, that is a shirring foot. It is supposed to pucker! I have the same foot and had the same problem. Looked it up in a book about vintage attachments and there it was! I wasn't going crazy, after all.
    Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.-Groucho Marx

Muv
    No Kas, the photo posted above is a quilting foot and definitely not a shirring foot. It wouldn't have the quilting guide to fit above it if it were a shirring foot.