Antenae for TV

Old 02-01-2017, 08:19 AM

Default Antenae for TV

Please forgive my horrible spelling that's developed after my concussion from falling down a flight of stairs and landing on my head and shoulder. I've been thinking of buying one of those gizmo's that attach to the back of your TV and is advertised as able to bring in HDTV programming without other costs. Does anyone know if they would work on a TV that doesn't have a cable attached to it?

A few years ago we stopped Direct TV to our den TV since we weren't watching it in there. Since my accident I'd like to start it again but can't justify the additional cost of the card that runs the programming on that TV. I see that other gizmo advertised on TV as bringing in a good picture but I don't want to waste the money if it won't work.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

I too will follow this. Dish is going soon and we will need something. (these days no one spells correctly, so no worries)
Old 02-01-2017, 08:38 AM
dd

I bought one of those that sits in the window but it didn't work. My husband said I wasted my money because they only work for about 25 miles from the broadcast signal. I asked why he even opened the pkg. To prove it to you, was his answer. lol I don't think he knew it either before he opened it. hahaha The one on the roof works pretty well but we don't have rotor for it so when the wind blows hard sometimes it moves.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:58 AM

I've been looking into an antenna also but the success of them depends on how far you are from the broadcast signal and how clear a path that signal has to your location. I did find some that had a 50 mile range. Check for this on Amazon.
If you live were you have large hills between you and the broadcast signal you may not be able to use it. If you google antenna range map you'll get a list of links to various maps. Below is one I found:
https://www.antennaweb.org/Address
I would think if you got one and it didn't work you could return it.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

I have no idea about the antennae but these days I find my fingers and brain aren't always connecting quick enough. Short signal like some of these antennae.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
Please forgive my horrible spelling that's developed after my concussion from falling down a flight of stairs and landing on my head and shoulder. I've been thinking of buying one of those gizmo's that attach to the back of your TV and is advertised as able to bring in HDTV programming without other costs. Does anyone know if they would work on a TV that doesn't have a cable attached to it?

A few years ago we stopped Direct TV to our den TV since we weren't watching it in there. Since my accident I'd like to start it again but can't justify the additional cost of the card that runs the programming on that TV. I see that other gizmo advertised on TV as bringing in a good picture but I don't want to waste the money if it won't work.
We attached an antennae to a small tv in the basement...it will pull in some channels fromabout 30 miles or so. So we get ABC, CBS, and NBC. Also the CW and Fox. Some public tv channels but if weather is crazy, the signal fades in and out.

But it is worth a try in my opinion. If we didn't like some the cable channels, we would save ourselves a ton of money by going with an antennae instead of cable.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I too will follow this. Dish is going soon and we will need something. (these days no one spells correctly, so no worries)
If I type something on a tablet (like a Kindle), the typing is attrocious...my spelling has always been great but the Kindle's keypad leaves a lot to be desire. It looks like I am always hitting the wrong keys.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

If you have wi fi you can buy a Roku Stick at Walmart and get lots free channels. No cost after you buy the Roku unless you want Netflix or other paid subscriptions. Never a commitment, paid monthly to the service you like.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:08 PM

It's just an antenna so you will get only your local free channels. I don't like that advertisement. I think it leads people to believe they will get channels you usually get on Direct TV. We have an outdoor antenna for the living room and quilting cave. I have a little indoor antenna that I use in the exercise room and also one in the bedroom. I can get most of the channels on the indoor antennas but found out I needed to an antenna that also plugged in the wall outlet.
On the indoor and outdoor antennas I get 4 PBS channels, channels: 5, 5-1, 11, 11-2,11-3, 17, 17-1, 17-2, 22, 22-1, 26, 26-1,26-2,26-3,26-4, 28, 28-1, 28-2, 28-3, 40-1, 40-2,40-3, 40-4, 50, 50-1. That's a lot of channels and I'm happy with what I find there.
We cut the cord two years ago and got Netflix. I watch very little tv before we cut the cord but I am now addicted to Netflix. We have a Smart tv in the living room and kitchen that take me directly to Netflix but I purchased a Roku for the bedroom and quilt cave. I told DH the other day I never thought I'd see the day we would have more than one tv. I was raised with no tv in the house and rarely let my kids watch tv when they were growing up.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:29 PM

Thumbs down

*** My brother-in-law bought one and he has tried it on 3 different
*** TV sets and it
*** WILL NOT WORK ON ANY OF THEM.