Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moving up the ladder of quilting experience >

Moving up the ladder of quilting experience

Moving up the ladder of quilting experience

Old 02-24-2017, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

Default Moving up the ladder of quilting experience

I have tried to explain this to my work-friends but none of them are quilters and claim they can't relate.

Last week I realized that I have reached a different stage in my FMQ ability. Not sure what triggered the change - not sure what I did that took it over the edge either. All I know is that I got really excited about doing FMQ on my project - I wasn't timid, I wasn't scared, and I approached the process with this newfound joy.

My actual quilting looks no better or worse than the last piece I did. So it all must be in my head.

Has you experienced something like that?
Old 02-24-2017, 02:58 PM

I've too afraid to even start FMQ. I tend to hold my breath when I think about it.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

Yes, you are on your way!!! I also got to a point where I felt comfortable, then slowly improved. I think you find your rhythm, or groove, or whatever. It just clicks and it seems you are no longer fighting the process. Congrats!!!
Old 02-24-2017, 04:05 PM

I totally agree with PaperPrincess. I think you've reached that "magic" point, where you look forward to doing FMQ instead of dreading it. To get to that point, you've put in a lot of practice, so "good for you". It's going to be so good from now on. That's not to say that there won't be mistakes, but you now have the confidence to keep going!
Old 02-24-2017, 04:50 PM

Congratulations! The most important thing I've learned about quilting - and I learned it from someone on this board - is to enjoy the process. It is far more important, imho, that you are truly enjoying FMQ now than that you're noticing an improvement. (My hunch is that noticeable improvement will follow, but I still think enjoyment is more important!)
Old 02-24-2017, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I know what you are saying madquilter. There is a point where you realize it is familiar work and it isn't scary anymore, just fun and you go searching for a little harder quilting patterns to keep your technique growing with you.

I hope you are enjoying yourself and continue on your journey with a happy heart. That is how I feel. Now when I go to a quilt show it is a different eye that I use to see how other quilter's use certain type of spaces. Also if I have one that needs quilting, say a certain pattern that has me stumped, I look for that type quilt to see what she did.

I try to read my quilt and first quilt it in such a way that the design is stabilized and quilted in the right places. I then think how to make it decorative. I guess it is the old saying, "Fashion follows function".

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 02-24-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

I used to obsess about getting my stitch length perfect when FMQing. Then I really looked at the quilting on show quilts, even the quilts done on longarms and they were not perfect. I am glad you have found your groove.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:50 PM

Great post!! I am so glad you hit that pinnacle! I am not there yet, but you have given me hope.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:12 PM

You've given me some hope that someday I'll be able to FMQ. I made a mystery quilt a few years ago with the thought that I would use it to practice FMG. I'm SITD now and then will start on the FMQ. I'm terrified of it. My hands and feet do NOT work well together. I'm actually thinking of chickening out and just trying a few different walking foot designs in the various blocks.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:16 PM

Martina, congratulations on your break through...you're on your way. My FMQ isn't spectacular but I love knowing I did it myself.