Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moving up the ladder of quilting experience >

Moving up the ladder of quilting experience

Moving up the ladder of quilting experience

Old 02-24-2017, 06:43 PM

It's wonderful that you've overcome that old barrier in FMQ. And funny how you described that it might not be better--could just be in your head. LOL. I'm sure everything is better in MY head than it is anywhere else. ----- But I remember the day I forged ahead in bravery to FMQ rather than my "safe" stitch in the ditch. Found it was fun to do bubbles, leaves, hearts, swirls, dog bones, meandering... The key was practicing on donation quilts to kids , and thinking of the motifs as "hidden pictures", knowing that kids don't judge. That helped me relax and enjoy the ride so much that I didn't fear the quilting stage. It still stumps me from time to time, but I don't fear it .
Old 02-25-2017, 07:36 AM

Way to go Martina!

Rob
Old 02-25-2017, 10:09 AM

I completely understand. And I relate it to learning to drive. There was a certain moment when learning to drive that I finally felt comfortable and I turned a corner (not literally). The same thing happened with FMQ.

Congratulations!
Old 02-25-2017, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

may be just the sheer joy of doing has overtaken the fear of doing it "wrong". I understand.
peace
Old 02-25-2017, 09:02 PM

No, I'm not there yet. It has to be that you are really working at it and really are improving. Your stitch length is more consistent, curves are smoother, etc.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:30 AM

Congratulations! I am just begainning to fmq. finely yesterday got my machine set up correctly. Was able to do curves with no eyelashes! Looking forward to the new adventure.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:04 AM

Yes, I have reached that same point. No more dreading the quilting part. I took bought a Craftsy class and the instructor kept saying it doesn't have to be perfect. And when I started really watching for this, she was right. What looked perfect almost never was. It was awesome and beautiful but not perfect. So, I know do my very best but am ok with not perfect. I sure do enjoy the process more and see improvement with every quilt.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:50 AM

I also have felt that way. I feel so much more confident than I used to. I'm still not a great quilter but I'm much better than I used to be & I'm happy with my progress. I think every time it looks better than the time before. I'm not afraid or intimidated either like I once was. I don't ever plan on quilting professionally & I'm having fun learning.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:36 AM

I have taken LOTS of craftsy classes on FMQ for ideas ans such, but it was when I took the iquilt class with Lisa Calle that it all came together for me.. It did use templates, but the planning of the quilting became crystal clear and gave me the confidence to do my first quilt! It wasn't perfect but I was very happy with it. I have a Viking Platinum 16 and had only used it to practice on. I don't care for all over designs- I like them to be customized- then I feel like I am actually creating. Now I can't wait until the quilting process
Old 02-26-2017, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023 View Post
Yes, I have reached that same point. No more dreading the quilting part. I took bought a Craftsy class and the instructor kept saying it doesn't have to be perfect. And when I started really watching for this, she was right. What looked perfect almost never was. It was awesome and beautiful but not perfect. So, I know do my very best but am ok with not perfect. I sure do enjoy the process more and see improvement with every quilt.
I can totally relate. With lots of practice, I feel more confident and like you realize that professionals aren't perfect either, but it is the total look of the quilt in the end that is noticed. Some designs I can do well but having that confidence enables me to try new things with a more relaxed attitude, thus the joy of discovering new designs and the whole process.