Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lap hoops for hand quilting >

Lap hoops for hand quilting

Lap hoops for hand quilting

Old 04-01-2017, 02:01 AM

Default Lap hoops for hand quilting

Hi all I was going to buy a Barnett lap hoop, but the postage to the UK is really bumping up the price and then I saw online one by thimblelady, which looks good and works out a lot cheaper so I'm not sure what to do now. I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on either thank you xx
Old 04-01-2017, 02:05 AM

Don't know about the frames but her thimble for hand quilting is the best tool for the job in my opinion, so I would think the frames must also be good.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:18 AM

I looked at her thimbles which one do you use bjchard? x
Old 04-01-2017, 02:45 AM

I agree with bj regarding her thimbles. I use the cone-shaped stainless steel one now but I started with the plastic one to make sure it was the correct size and I liked the movement. I found the sizing instructions very accurate when I ordered mine as well.

I just looked at her lap hoop. I wiggle around too much when I quilt to use any kind of hoop with a stand - lap or floor. I mostly use just a plain hoop that I hold in my lap. Sometimes I use no hoop at all. Mostly depends on how heavy the project is.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:08 AM

I gave up on hoops years ago...too cumbersome. I just quilt in my lap....
Old 04-01-2017, 06:49 AM

I also use the thimblelady thimble and her modified quilting stitch. I have the plastic one.

I want to take this opportunity to thank the person who once described how she places a chair with the back facing to prop her quilt hoop on while quilting on the couch. I wouldn't have thought of this myself, but it works wonderfully!
Old 04-01-2017, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I want to take this opportunity to thank the person who once described how she places a chair with the back facing to prop her quilt hoop on while quilting on the couch. I wouldn't have thought of this myself, but it works wonderfully!
That's a cool idea!
Old 04-01-2017, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by twinkle View Post
Hi all I was going to buy a Barnett lap hoop, but the postage to the UK is really bumping up the price and then I saw online one by thimblelady, which looks good and works out a lot cheaper so I'm not sure what to do now. I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on either thank you xx
Google Jean Brown for demos on using a hoop. She is the lady who developed the metal Aunt Becky quilting aid. Jean Brown and Georgia Bonesteel did sell hoops for lap quilting. That does not help you with shipping charges, but I wonder if you could connect two dime store hoops and make your own.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

i've been quilting for years, back to the 70's. i never knew you were supposed to use a hoop, so i did it without.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:24 AM

I use the stainless with the dimples on the side. I took a hand quilting class at one of the AQS shows at Lancaster (last year, I think) and the instructor was selling the thimbles. I was able to try the sizes to determine the correct one. It was expensive but it is worth it.