Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lap hoops for hand quilting? >

Lap hoops for hand quilting?

Lap hoops for hand quilting?

Old 06-19-2011, 12:49 PM

Hi all... I've been practicing my hand quilting (and loving it) using a PVC pipe square "hoop" with some success... I've been looking online at some hand quilting hoops... There are two brands that I've found that both look like really nice hoops... I don't know if I should mention the brands here (don't want to step on toes??)...
I really think I want a floor stand hoop instead of holding it in my lap, too...
So my question is: do any of you have a floor stand-type hoop? do you like it? Can you tell me which one you have and why you like it?

thanks all... hope you're having a lovely day!!
Old 06-19-2011, 01:17 PM

I almost missed your topic. I hand quilt on a pvc one and love my round hoop on a stand. Also have several lap hoops.; I find they are all great for handquilting. I hope this helps.I also find brands don't matter. Find the best deal you can and go with it. I love hoop quilting. Good luck.♥♥
Old 06-19-2011, 01:23 PM

I have both lap & floor.

I don't use the floor stand as much as I thought I would, as I find it harder to bend and twist my back to work the stitches. End up with a backache. I also find it harder to support the weight of the larger quilts with it.

I love my lap stand, it's portable, can use it in any room or even on the deck. I can adjust it easily, I actually have purchased 4 different size hoops to fit on it.

I currently am working on a king size bed quilt, I use a large oval hoop, sit on my bed at night, and support the weight of the quilt on the bed. It works perfectly.

By the way, I also use the lap stand to do my embroidery.

Hope this helped you and your decision.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned

Look at the Morgan floor stand. The system for holding the layers together is very good. The system is also available in all their hoops from 6"-16"
Old 06-19-2011, 01:30 PM

I purchased a Hinterberg 18" lap quiting hoop with an extension and the hoop adapter to use when hand quilting borders. It is a very good, quality hoop and their customer service is wonderful. MADE IN THE U.S.A, Please check out their website.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:32 PM

Ulmer is a terrific floor frame.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:53 PM

My mother and I both have and use floor stand hoops. We both like them very much. I don't know the brand, sorry. Mother also uses a lap hoop bbut I can't use one. I hope this helps.....Susan
Old 06-19-2011, 02:56 PM

I started off with a floor hoop and then got a lap hoop. I found I only used the lap hoop, so sold my floor hoop.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:57 PM

I started off with a floor hoop and then got a lap hoop. I found I only used the lap hoop, so sold my floor hoop.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:27 PM

I have a floor model Hittenberg hoop that I like very much. It swivels, tilts to meet your needs. Now I find it hard to quilt curvy stuff on a regular quilting frame. They all work about the same so get the one you like for the best price.