Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Where in Budapest >

Where in Budapest

Where in Budapest

Old 04-10-2017, 01:12 PM

Default Where in Budapest

I am going to Budapest this summer for a couple of days and wondered if anyone knew of a fabric shop or a quilt type shop there?
Old 04-11-2017, 03:03 AM

Wow! Long way to go just for a few days! But enjoy the experience......
Old 04-11-2017, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

Oh there is so much history and so many historical places to visit there I'd save fabric shopping for another time.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

We were there in August of 2015 and didn't think to look for fabric stores and didn't see any but did see a young couple walking down the street carrying a vintage sewing machine in a bentwood top case. The case was askew and I could see the machine. I really wanted to stop them and ask about the machine but it all happened so fast. We were there for a few days before the Viking Cruise.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:52 AM

If you do net get any answers, try to google. You may find something while browsing.good luck and a wonderful time.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:54 PM

We were in Budapest three years ago. A friend I work with Dad lives there. No quilt stores to be found. Our third stop on tour walked past an antique store and there was a featherweight sitting in the window.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:35 AM

I live in Budapest. There is a fabric store that sells quilting fabric on the main street (korut) that goes by the Nyugati Railroad station. This street changes its name at the intersection of the train station--to the east, it is called Terez Korut; and to the west it is called Szent Istvan Korut. When you walk out of the train station, you will want to get to the other side of the street and go to your right (towards the Danube River, which they call the Duna. I think the store in about one or two blocks from the train station. It is on a corner, and the door is set on a diagonal/kitty corner. There is a sign in the window on the street side of the store that says "Patchwork." I've been able to find quilting fabric there at, what is for Europe, very reasonable prices. There is another shop that is in the northern part of the city that is difficult to find, and I have not been there in a very long time. And another shop that I did not even know about is Kerület Krisztinaváros Maros utca 29, 1122 called the fabrikashop.

Another thing to think about is this: http://www.kekfestocotton.co.uk This is Hungarian traditional blue fabric. It is made in Szentendre, a small town just north of Budapest. You can sometimes find this fabric at fairs and street vendors; and they do sell packets of 4 1/4 meter pieces of fabric (I know--I just bought some). You can also buy it online here at the link above.

Have fun! You can connect with me privately if you wish more information. When will you be here? Carolyn