Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storing finished quilts >

Storing finished quilts

Storing finished quilts

Old 04-22-2017, 09:12 AM

Default Storing finished quilts

HI,
I have 12 finished quilts for grandchildren and great grandchildren that are being saved until they marry. But I really need help in how to store them in the least amount of space. Someone suggested I use those vacuum bags, the one's that suck the air out and it's a fraction of its size when finished. Has anyone ever used them? My concern was that they may flatten the quilts too much. Thanks for any advice. Busy Lizzie
Old 04-22-2017, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

A lot of mine are on two racks that I own. I re-fold them from time to time so that they do not end up with lines in them. As far as using less space, maybe get some plastic pipe from Home Depot or someplace, and roll them one on top of the other.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

space. i have none. at the moment i have a box of batting in the corner of my office/guest room and on top of that box i have four muslin zip bags I got to store quilts in. I think I got them from Nancy's notions years ago.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
A lot of mine are on two racks that I own. I re-fold them from time to time so that they do not end up with lines in them. As far as using less space, maybe get some plastic pipe from Home Depot or someplace, and roll them one on top of the other.
Then cover with muslin to keep them clean, and hang the pipe.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

I picked up an empty cardboard carpet roll. I rolled a clean white sheet around it first and then piled several quilts on another sheet. I then rolled all the quilts onto the roll and secured the sheet ends like a giant tootsie roll. I stand the roll upright in a spare closet.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I picked up an empty cardboard carpet roll. I rolled a clean white sheet around it first and then piled several quilts on another sheet. I then rolled all the quilts onto the roll and secured the sheet ends like a giant tootsie roll. I stand the roll upright in a spare closet.
i like this idea.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:10 AM

I have used the vaccuum bags for batting - they worked well but they don't last forever, which is not a bad thing. Tells you it is time to refold the quilts. Hope you have them labeled for who will get which one.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:17 AM

I put my finished quilts in pillow cases that I buy at thrift store. I fold them up to fit inside the pillowcases and put up on a shelf in my closet. Would love to have a piece of furniture that I could display the quilts and enjoy them. I would be afraid of the vacuum bags for fear they would leave marks that couldn't be ironed out.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

I like the PVC pipe and hanging idea best, standing them in a closet second best. My experience with the vacuum bags has not been the best. They do wrinkle fabric, plus all of mine have deflated over time. You still have to store the bags, and they don't necessarily stack all that well once they are vacuumed. All of mine came with a strong plastic smell to them also. They would cost considerably more than a PVC pipe and some thrift store sheets too.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

By chance do you have a spare bed that is seldom used?
If so, I would just put them one on-top-of-the-other, and leave them be.