Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Folding over backing for binding >

Folding over backing for binding

Folding over backing for binding

Old 04-27-2017, 04:18 AM

Default Folding over backing for binding

For those of you who have folded over the backing to make the binding, do you find it easier/faster than making a separate binding? It seemed to me that it would be easier, but when I tried it, it took me much longer to get it folded over evenly than it would have to make a separate binding (I probably could have made two bindings and sewed them on in the time this took). I don't even know how much time I spent on each of the corners. I can do a narrow hem pretty well, and this seemed like it would be more or less the same thing, but I had a heck of a time.

If you've tried binding both of these ways, I'd be curious about which you prefer. For someone who is proficient at both, is one faster than the other?

Note that I'm not looking for advice here, I'm just curious about others' experiences. Since the main advantage I can see of doing it this way would be saving time, it doesn't seem worth it to me to go up the learning curve to become proficient and I'm just going to stick with the separate binding, which I already know how to do well enough. I like trying new ways of doing things, because sometimes they turn out to be better than the way I've been doing things, but sometimes my old way is better, and for me, that's the case here. But you don't know until you try.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

I prefer regular binding to fold over binding. If it isomething small like a wallhanging or potholder, sometimes I use it. On a full size quilt, I would end up with some puckers along the front edge and I don't like that.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:00 AM

I turn my backing forward to form a binding -- I cut the backing down to about 2 inches beyond the quilt and usually fold it in two and sew the edge down by machine -- I usually have to relearn how to miter my corners each time I fold the binding!! -- but this is my method!!
Old 04-27-2017, 06:25 AM

I never have troubles with it, unless I forget that's what I'm going to do and trim the backing off with the batting!

My grandmother finished ALL of her quilts this way, that's the method I saw over and over as a kid so that's what I duplicated when I started making quilts. She didn't miter her corners, though - I've tried the square fold she did but I prefer the mitered corners so I do it that way.

I do tend to do separate binding more often, but if I use a flannel backing I almost always bring it to the front as the binding, because I like the fuzzy edge.

(edited to fix spelling error)
Old 04-27-2017, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

I've done the fold over but I cut the batting close on the diagonal at the corner, less bulk and makes a nicer mitered corner.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

i prefer the separate binding. on small items, i use the birthing/envelope method
Old 04-27-2017, 07:19 AM

Found a YouTube tute on fold over binding about 6 months ago, great tute..unfortunately I don't remember the name....but I'm sure you can search for it. I did it on several tablerunners and they came out perfect and much faster than separate binding...haven't tried on a bed size yet, but have two whole cloth bed size that I saved at an estate sale that are done that way.....
Old 04-27-2017, 07:46 AM

I prefer separate binding but on charity quilts or drag around quilts for my grands I use foldover.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

I prefer the regular binding as it is double fold and will give more protection to the edge of the quilt. One of the first quilts I made is starting to show wear on the binding and I know it would show holes if it were a single layer of fabric.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:34 PM

On coasters/mug rugs, wall hangings and smaller things I do a fold over, but with the length of time it takes me to get the mitered corners to look good I often wonder why I bother.