Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Should I Quilt This? >

How Should I Quilt This?

How Should I Quilt This?

Old 05-07-2017, 06:49 AM

Question How Should I Quilt This?

I just basted my latest quilt and the pattern suggests straight line quilting going horizontal. I'm fine with that but wanted to get any suggestions you may have. I will be machine quilting on my Brother domestic machine. I am not a quilter so I will not do well with any fancy stitches. Do you think just the straight horizontal lines are a good fit for this quilt? And how far apart should I make the lines? I'm using Warm n Natural 100% cotton batting.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572688[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails basted.jpg  
Old 05-07-2017, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

When I see straight lines in the quilt, I always want to do lots of swirls. Now, if you have your heart set on straight stitching, you might put them in the ditch. It would make the pieces pop. Have fun.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:57 AM

Beautiful quilt - whatever you do will be great. It might be nice to echo quilt around your flying geese.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:03 AM

My heart is not really set on straight stitching, but I wasn't sure what else to do.
I did think of echo stitching around the larger geese. But then I would need something to do in the empty grey blocks.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:04 AM

I don't know how you might quilt it, but I love the colors and pattern.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:20 AM

I'm one of those people who always sends quilts out to the longarmer. Unfortunately, my longarmer is having surgery and is not available for quilting. I need this one completed before the end of June because I wanted to enter it into our local county fair. So I'm stuck having to quilt it myself. This is just way out of my comfort zone.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

It has a modern look to it and I would SITD the design elements and then do horizontal lines in the grey background. It would look good if you change the direction of the 1/2 spaced lines in each grey section but that would be harder to do. Great top!
Old 05-07-2017, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

i would shadow the geese lines a few times. then i would cross hatch outside of that
Old 05-07-2017, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

Your quilt is awesome and has great graphic impact. Because of this, I really think straight line quilting will work well with it.

If you are not comfortable with FMQ and you want to enter it in the fair then you should stick with what you are comfortable with and good at. The pieced design is very strong so I think it would be fine to do simple walking foot quilting. Google images of walking foot quilting. One great one I saw was a spiral radiating from the center using the width of the foot to space the lines apart. I think that would look fabulous with the graphic impact of the piecing on this.

Here are some links to help you with inspiration
http://quilts.dexear.com/machine-qui...-walking-foot/

https://www.google.com/search?q=walk...ih=907#imgrc=_

https://www.google.com/search?q=walk...lting+patterns

Use a very fine thread (invisifil, microquilter or maybe bottom line) so the quilting sinks down into the fabric and all you notice is the texture left behind.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:04 AM

I think Tartan's suggestion would make a very eye catching modern quilt and you could do it all with your walking foot if you're not comfortable doing FMQ.

Great top!

Rob