Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How Should I Quilt This?

Question How Should I Quilt This?

I just basted my latest quilt and the pattern suggests straight line quilting going horizontal. I'm fine with that but wanted to get any suggestions you may have. I will be machine quilting on my Brother domestic machine. I am not a quilter so I will not do well with any fancy stitches. Do you think just the straight horizontal lines are a good fit for this quilt? And how far apart should I make the lines? I'm using Warm n Natural 100% cotton batting.

Name:  basted.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  235.5 KB
    Sheep Farmer by day ~ Learning to Quilt by night

When I see straight lines in the quilt, I always want to do lots of swirls. Now, if you have your heart set on straight stitching, you might put them in the ditch. It would make the pieces pop. Have fun.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Beautiful quilt - whatever you do will be great. It might be nice to echo quilt around your flying geese.

My heart is not really set on straight stitching, but I wasn't sure what else to do.
    I did think of echo stitching around the larger geese. But then I would need something to do in the empty grey blocks.

I don't know how you might quilt it, but I love the colors and pattern.

I'm one of those people who always sends quilts out to the longarmer. Unfortunately, my longarmer is having surgery and is not available for quilting. I need this one completed before the end of June because I wanted to enter it into our local county fair. So I'm stuck having to quilt it myself. This is just way out of my comfort zone.

Power Poster
    It has a modern look to it and I would SITD the design elements and then do horizontal lines in the grey background. It would look good if you change the direction of the 1/2 spaced lines in each grey section but that would be harder to do. Great top!

Blog Entries
    i would shadow the geese lines a few times. then i would cross hatch outside of that
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Your quilt is awesome and has great graphic impact. Because of this, I really think straight line quilting will work well with it.

If you are not comfortable with FMQ and you want to enter it in the fair then you should stick with what you are comfortable with and good at. The pieced design is very strong so I think it would be fine to do simple walking foot quilting. Google images of walking foot quilting. One great one I saw was a spiral radiating from the center using the width of the foot to space the lines apart. I think that would look fabulous with the graphic impact of the piecing on this.

Here are some links to help you with inspiration
    http://quilts.dexear.com/machine-qui...-walking-foot/

https://www.google.com/search?q=walk...ih=907#imgrc=_

https://www.google.com/search?q=walk...lting+patterns

Use a very fine thread (invisifil, microquilter or maybe bottom line) so the quilting sinks down into the fabric and all you notice is the texture left behind.

I think Tartan's suggestion would make a very eye catching modern quilt and you could do it all with your walking foot if you're not comfortable doing FMQ.

Great top!

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    http://www.dsquilts.com/quilts.asp?PageID=331

Check out this quilt. I like the straight line stitching which follows the angles of the FG. You could follow the angle on the large FG and run the lines up to the smaller FG. Another thought is using the serpentine stitch.

Outstanding quilt

OMG! I am so glad I checked out those websites, pics, and videos!!! That was a huge help!
    So I've decided to make horizontal lines and then following the lines on the triangles of the large geese, I will make diagonal lines. I'm gonna use my walking foot and see how it goes.
    I drew horizontal lines while it was laid out on my kitchen floor just to get an idea of how it would look. I drew the lines 2-inches apart, but I think it would look better if the lines were a bit closer. Maybe 1.5"?
    Anyway, I'm so glad I asked this question cuz I feel way better now about attempting to quilt this!

THANK YOU, ALL!

Stunning modern quilt! your decision to keep it simple and use straight line quilting is going to pay off. Really wonderful job...was it a pattern and if so, who designed it and where did you purchase?

Blog Entries
    your thoughts are perfect. try drawing it out and then putting quilting lines in, just to see if that will work well enough. I love your quilt!!!

Beautiful top. Please post a pic when you finish it. I would love to see it. Good luck at the fair!

Blog Entries
    OOH! I love this quilt. It is beautiful. Whatever you do will be really pretty.

I love the "arrows behind the geese" ( my interpretation). Also looked at the googles (feline fanatic). Liked this one for the quilting. Hope to see the finished quilt and how you finally decided to quilt it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a cool quilt! Your fabrics are gorgeous. Since I can't think of anything that hasn't already been suggested for quilting this one, I won't Looking forward to seeing your finished work. Best of luck!

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    It has a modern look to it and I would SITD the design elements and then do horizontal lines in the grey background. It would look good if you change the direction of the 1/2 spaced lines in each grey section but that would be harder to do. Great top!
    me too! to control the space and length of the lines, you could "box" each gray space by having the lines go vertical in one/ horizontal in the next, etc. And I'd probably SITD around the flying geese and maybe even a squiqqle in the bigger geese.

I'm no help here, but the top is wonderful!

I'm no help either but I do want to know the name of the quilt and where I can put my hands on the pattern. It is exactly what my son wants!

Beautiful quilt.