Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Seattle Top Things To Do Suggestions >

Seattle Top Things To Do Suggestions

Seattle Top Things To Do Suggestions

Old 07-03-2017, 12:47 PM

Default Seattle Top Things To Do Suggestions

My husband and I will be in Seattle for a Tuesday afternoon, all day Wednesday and Thursday morning in early August. We would love some suggestions on things to do. On our list so far is Pikes Market, the locks and salmon ladders. Some maybes, that I would love feedback on is the Space Needle (is it worth the ticket price) and a boat tour that takes you through the locks and past the Sleepless in Seattle area. We love to walk and are also good at using public transportation (no car). We also enjoy brewery tours. We are flying in and then leaving by Amtrak on our way to Portland.

Thanks for any and all advice!
Old 07-03-2017, 12:51 PM

My "have to do" when I go to Seattle is to ride the car or foot-ferry from Seattle to Bremerton and back. I always ride outside in the wind. It is a great way to blow out all the cobwebs. Very relaxing to me. You could also contact either Seattle tourism board or chamber of commerce to get more ideas. Sometimes they will mail you stuff ahead of time.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:12 PM

If you like good food... http://www.ivars.com/
Old 07-03-2017, 04:18 PM

My favorite thing in Seattle is the Underground tour. There was only one when we lived there 44 years ago but I think there are several now. Seattle was built on a flood plane and when the roads kept filling up with water they had to build them up and covered up the first floor of all the buildings. Also the Chihuly Garden and Glass House is beautiful. Chihuly is a famous glass artist. If you like plants the Seattle Bonsai Museum is wonderful, some of those tiny trees are very old. The Asian Art museum is nice, they used to have an amazing carved jade collection.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:06 PM

Argosy Cruises will give you choice of several lake cruises and also the locks. You'll love the remodeled Pike Place Market, it just opened the new shops last week. Make sure to go to Pike Place Fish and watch them tossing the salmon. The Space Needle is pricey but if you eat in the restaurant I think you can still go up for free and if you like music you might want to check out Experience Music and take a ride on the Monorail. Enjoy you're visit in the Emerald City.

Last edited by Three Dog Night; 07-03-2017 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-03-2017, 06:26 PM

For just 2 days my first point is University of WA bookstore - love the campus, the other one is the Seattle Center where the Science Pavilion and Space Needle. We moved to WA in 1962 - that was for the Seattle Worlds Fair, there was a Food Circus that served food from everywhere in the world. Each country had a restaurant and you could order something from each one then sit at a table in the center of the building. It was there I discovered Belgium Waffles and lasagna. It has been a long time since I have been to the Center so not sure if the Food Circus still exists or not. The Space Needle is fun - expensive, but fun. You made need reservations since it is summer.
There is also an area called Pioneer Square - a lot of good eating places and art galleries.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:07 PM

we did about 3 days in Seattle 4 yrs ago--loved it! Also no car, but we stayed in hotel downtown and Pikes Place easy walk and their transit system was easy to manuever too. We did go to the Space needle for dinner one night--if you are going to eat there it includes your trip up, which is worth it--but beware--their menu is pricey! But seeing the harbor as dusk was coming on and then at night was just gorgeous. Didn't have time to go to any of the islands (I was in a conference so my DH explored a couple days by himself) but would do that next time!
Old 07-03-2017, 07:38 PM

You can just ride up the Space Needle for the experience and have dinner elsewhere -- that's what I would do. Pike's Place Market, yes, and a ferry ride is nice. I'd suggest a ferry to Bainbridge Island rather than Bremerton, only because it's a cute little touristy town right where the ferry lands.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:45 AM

Just off from the Pike Place Market is the chewing gum wall. Great spot for a photo op. We rode the ferry to Bremmerton to meet a cousin I hadn't seen in 20 years. I took our young girls to the Underground tour one morning. They have an evening tour, too. We enjoyed the monorail and the space needle. We loved looking down on the roofs of buildings and seeing the spiders that looked so real on a nearby roof. There was also a blown glass exhibit next to the space needle. We didn't go in, but caught glimpses of it as we went up the space needle. I would have really enjoyed it, but the girls wouldn't, so it was a lot to spend for 3 of us, if only I would enjoy it. My husband's conference held their last evening party at the music museum. EMP- Experience music project. (I was cool,but not my thing... ) We stayed at the Marriott downtown, because that's where the conference was being held. It was great to be able to walk everywhere, or take the elevated train. We sat in the front and talked to the driver one evening, which was cool.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:21 AM

Ivar's is good for eating, but if you're near the locks and salmon ladder...go eat at Chinook's. Same owner as Anthony's but not as expensive. Enjoy your time there. You're going at a good time weather-wise.
Edited to add: We enjoyed eating in the Space Needle. The rotation takes about an hour and the timing of the meals works well with that. You can go to the observation deck and the ride up is included in the price of the meal. (7 years ago, so check) Also, you should have reservations for the Space Needle.

Last edited by coopah; 07-04-2017 at 05:26 AM.