Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Difficulty Peeling Potatoes >

Difficulty Peeling Potatoes

Difficulty Peeling Potatoes

Old 01-01-2018, 09:55 AM
Suz

Default Difficulty Peeling Potatoes

This message is for all who have trouble peeling potatoes. It is difficult for me to hold the thin handle of a peeler for most veggies. I will look for a chubby handle peeler when at the kitchen store next time but for now, this is what I am doing . . .

My daughter had sent me a link showing how you cook potatoes whole. Score the potato all the way around the fat part and boil until done. Drain and grab the end of the potato and the skin will just slide off. Am doing this today for the first and plan to use my two tongs to grab each end as the spuds will be hot. Then mash a usual.

One other thing I have learned to do: When unable to open a jar using the "V" shaped aid, I use my icepick and carefully poke a hole in the lid. This releases the vacuum and allows easy opening. Now to be able to open those water bottles with the 1/4" lids. Have to ask for help here when out of my home.

Sometimes being 81 presents problems and we have to innovate.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-01-2018 at 11:07 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 01-01-2018, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

That is an interesting concept. I hope it works for you.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:22 AM

I use these for peeling apples, potatoes, carrots etc. The handle fits nicely in my small hands and since they all stick together no more searching the drawer for them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-01-2018, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

The medical supply store in my area has thick rubbery handles that fit on eating utensils for people with arthritus. These might work for your peeler but if not, I have the OXO brand that works really well and has a thick plastic handle. For small bottle tops I have a handy dandy yellow figure 8 rubber opener that came with Tylenol bottle. I love it and it was a freebie from 5 years ago.[ATTACH=CONFIG]586383[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 01-01-2018, 02:31 PM

I have always used a knife to peel my potatoes. Mom always used a small paring knife, and that's how I learned to do it. She was so fast doing it.. Carrots are scrubbed, and not peeled. I use my peeler to make parmesan curls for salads!
Old 01-01-2018, 04:53 PM

I use a Y shaped peeler, it's great. I also have one of the jar openers shown above. Sure beats storing my jars by the door waiting for a male neighbor to walk by!!
Old 01-02-2018, 04:53 AM
Suz

You have all offered some great ideas and I thank you. Yes, my hands are arthritic and not so strong anymore. -- I tried the scoring of the potato before boiling but when holding with the tongs, their weight caused collapse and breaking. I was able to use two forks to remove most of the skin as I rolled them about in my cooking pan. Next time (before I get some new utensils), I will score them lengthways and sideways when using the forks. Again, thank you.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:20 AM

I no longer peel potatoes at all. I just scrub them down really good, cut them up into chunks and boil. The skin is the healthiest part of the potato. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :-)
Old 01-02-2018, 06:04 AM

I rarely peel my potatoes. The skin is the best part. We ate in a fancy restaurant one time and several people told me I had to had the mashed potatoes as they were awesome. They were mashed potatoes where they left the skins on. I haven't peeled my potatoes since. Just scrub them and cut them up in chunks and boil as usual.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered a set.