Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Difficulty Peeling Potatoes

Suz

Difficulty Peeling Potatoes

This message is for all who have trouble peeling potatoes. It is difficult for me to hold the thin handle of a peeler for most veggies. I will look for a chubby handle peeler when at the kitchen store next time but for now, this is what I am doing . . .

My daughter had sent me a link showing how you cook potatoes whole. Score the potato all the way around the fat part and boil until done. Drain and grab the end of the potato and the skin will just slide off. Am doing this today for the first and plan to use my two tongs to grab each end as the spuds will be hot. Then mash a usual.

One other thing I have learned to do: When unable to open a jar using the "V" shaped aid, I use my icepick and carefully poke a hole in the lid. This releases the vacuum and allows easy opening. Now to be able to open those water bottles with the 1/4" lids. Have to ask for help here when out of my home.

Sometimes being 81 presents problems and we have to innovate.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-01-2018 at 11:07 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

That is an interesting concept. I hope it works for you.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I use these for peeling apples, potatoes, carrots etc. The handle fits nicely in my small hands and since they all stick together no more searching the drawer for them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Power Poster
    The medical supply store in my area has thick rubbery handles that fit on eating utensils for people with arthritus. These might work for your peeler but if not, I have the OXO brand that works really well and has a thick plastic handle. For small bottle tops I have a handy dandy yellow figure 8 rubber opener that came with Tylenol bottle. I love it and it was a freebie from 5 years ago.Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 715
Size:  165.0 KB

I have always used a knife to peel my potatoes. Mom always used a small paring knife, and that's how I learned to do it. She was so fast doing it.. Carrots are scrubbed, and not peeled. I use my peeler to make parmesan curls for salads!

I use a Y shaped peeler, it's great. I also have one of the jar openers shown above. Sure beats storing my jars by the door waiting for a male neighbor to walk by!!

Suz
    You have all offered some great ideas and I thank you. Yes, my hands are arthritic and not so strong anymore. -- I tried the scoring of the potato before boiling but when holding with the tongs, their weight caused collapse and breaking. I was able to use two forks to remove most of the skin as I rolled them about in my cooking pan. Next time (before I get some new utensils), I will score them lengthways and sideways when using the forks. Again, thank you.

Blog Entries
    I no longer peel potatoes at all. I just scrub them down really good, cut them up into chunks and boil. The skin is the healthiest part of the potato. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :-)

Blog Entries
    I rarely peel my potatoes. The skin is the best part. We ate in a fancy restaurant one time and several people told me I had to had the mashed potatoes as they were awesome. They were mashed potatoes where they left the skins on. I haven't peeled my potatoes since. Just scrub them and cut them up in chunks and boil as usual.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the heads up. I ordered a set.

The peeler I have been using for the last 75 years is the square shape with the floating blade on one side of the square. You hold the other side of the square and steady your hand by holding onto the bar down the middle of the square. I pull the peeler toward me but you could push it away also. They are called "Wonder Peeler" and were made with a blue steel small curved knife or hook at one corner to dig out eyes. They stopped making the blue steel hook in about 1951, but I have found them over the years at thrift stores, rummage sales and auctions. I have at least 5 of them in my drawers now. The wonder peelers you can buy now have just an extension of the aluminum at one corner, but that is not sharp enough. If I had that I would switch to a knife to take out eyes.

Cooking potatoes with the peel is the best way. I cut the potato into large chunks so that everything in the pot is about the same size. After they are cooked, the skin does not "slide" off. You have to grab hold of a corner of peel (usually some of the corners curl up) and pull it off. OR - - you can eat that peel with the potato. Soooo good for you!
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

mac
    I have one tip for opening those darn water bottles or drink bottles that are so hard to get the cap off. Instead of trying to open the bottle by turning it to the right, I first turn the cap to the left like I was trying to close the bottle. Then I turn it to the right and open the bottle. It will open much easier. I do have to say, that this doesn't work every time, but it works more often than not. So, if you don't first succeed, try it again on another bottle.

I never peel potatoes, my answer if anyone in the family wants them peeled, you do it, my life is too short to waste time peeling when I can just eat them with skins on.( I’d rather sew ) For mash, I bake the potatoes and scoop the flesh out

I have 2 OXO peelers, both are a different style, but I Love the cushioned large handles!!!
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

another vote for the OXO peeler. Until I looked it up, did not know that OXO made so many different ones! I have one like the first one but thought the other day, I need a new one, this is kinda hard to do use. They do get dull just like knives.
    A trick I use on jars and bottles like pickles etc is I take a church key kind of opener and use it like I was going to pop the top off, but just lift slightly, it will break that vacuum and the lid will come off easier.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=17JWAQUZCTVJU

I have always peeled my potatoes. But like the idea of cooking with the skins on. Then I can feed the skins to my chickens. Waste not, want not.

Blog Entries
    I purchased a fat handled Kitchenaid peeler. THE BEST EVER! No more tired sore fingers or wrists peeling potatoes or apples using those thin metal peelers or the best $1 paring knives sold on the counters at hardware stores. Peels fast and thin slices. Had it for 6 years and still sharp as ever.

I learned to open jars by taking a spoon and pressing under the lid to release the vacuum. Lids easily unscrew once the tight seal is gone. Works every time. No more twisted wrists or tired hands.

Suz
    Thank you all for the feedback and in particular the link to Amazon by Murphy. I will be placing an order shortly. And I will certainly use the "release the vacuum" ideas several of you offered. Better than the ice pick method I have used. You are all so kind to share your ideas. And I will be eating more potato skins. Blessings. --- Stay warm. Very cold here.

Blog Entries
    great potato tip!!! thanks.

This is the best peeler i have ever used. Swiss Rex vegetable peeler 2 pack at Amazon.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Saw on Pinterest- put potatoes in boiling water for 10 minutes, then plunge into ice water for 10 minutes, then just rub the skins off.

[QUOTE=Roberta;7974623]I no longer peel potatoes at all. I just scrub them down really good, cut them up into chunks and boil. The skin is the healthiest part of the potato. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :-)[/QUOHave done this for years too

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastpedal View Post
    I have always peeled my potatoes. But like the idea of cooking with the skins on. Then I can feed the skins to my chickens. Waste not, want not.
    General note to readers: Please dont feed raw potato peelings to chickens. It is one of the few foods they cannot digest. Cooked ones, like you do, are ok.