Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
afraid-to-use-my-fabric-stash-itis >

afraid-to-use-my-fabric-stash-itis

afraid-to-use-my-fabric-stash-itis

Old 09-24-2018, 07:33 AM

I think of my stash as art supplies. So I routinely use whatever I've got in it. I sometimes have a fabric that just doesn't work with anything I'm currently working on, but I know that eventually it'll be what I'm looking for. That said, I do have a fat quarter bundle that just looks so wonderful I have not managed to open it up yet and I've had it for a year. I do take it out and drool over it occasionally

Rob
Old 09-24-2018, 08:44 AM

Hugs Iceblossom...your story hits home. I've had a lot of 'I'd better get started now or else!' moments. Hoping you are able to fully enjoy every bit of what's next.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Cheshirepat View Post
Hugs Iceblossom...your story hits home. I've had a lot of 'I'd better get started now or else!' moments. Hoping you are able to fully enjoy every bit of what's next.
It sucks and I still get mad and depressed about it, but in some ways it has made me a better person and more appreciative of the little things in life. The good news is that after losing 10-20 feet a year for decades, last couple of years I've had less loss, but there are no guarantees about next year. Forget the E on the eye chart, if you put a white chart on a white wall I can't even see the chart any more without my contacts or standing within touching distance.

We don't know what the future may bring, but I have learned that "stuff is just stuff". Have you ever done the exercise about "your house is burning and you have 5 minutes"?? My fabric never even made the list. I get the pets out (even the hubby's snake and spider) and everything else can be replaced. Hubby hopes if I have time I grab the computers but I figure they are goners... Photos aren't memories even though they can help bring them to the surface. Important papers can be replaced. There is nothing needed that can't be replaced -- except for today.

Old saying: “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the present.”
― Bill Keane
Old 09-24-2018, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
This is the fabric on my DNC list. I just cannot bring my self to use it for anything.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]601561[/ATTACH]
Watson
Oh my! What a striking fabric! I think that would probably go onto my DNC list as well!
Old 09-24-2018, 09:26 AM

What is this "unmanageable sized stash" problem? I think you all should box it all up and truck over to Wisconsin. We'll have a good old fashioned sewing bee for a weekend
Old 09-24-2018, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Yep Iceblossom, the five minute exercise is an eye opener. I had all my old photos copied and put on online storage. We have copes of the papers we should have and the originals are in a safe deposit box. DH and I do this exercise at least once a year and always find something we can do now to save a little heartache if the worse happens. And you are right, my fabric and sewing room contents has never been on my list.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Dunster this is so me. Sigh...
I'm in the same boat or it's reserved for a quilt I'm not ready to make. I need a large piece for a body size pillowcase . Every piece I look at, there's a reason I can't use it. I need to suck it up and cut one. If the remainder isn't enough for a backing, I'll piece it.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:44 AM

Yes, this has been me.

Then I decided I am not immortal . . . my day of reckoning is coming.

So I decided to pick one fabric off the shelf/out of the pile to make a quilt or wall hanging or mug rug. That still did not move much fabric.

Now my down time is spent cutting off 6" or 10" off each piece of fabric, then cutting that piece into smaller pieces that will go into scrap quilts.

Scrap quilts/quilted projects have joined WIPs.

Only problem: I'm seeing some empty spaces on shelves so I feel the need to fill them with new fabric.

I am a STASH builder; my neighbor calls it a hoard (she is no longer invited in my house).
Old 09-24-2018, 12:17 PM

Zozee is right - I overthink it and end up putting it back. My fear is that while whole it can be anything but once cut it might end up as an ugly mess of a project. Why risk it?! : )

I am going home tonight and cutting into my stash - I'll try the grab 4 and rank them method to start. Wish me luck!
Old 09-24-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
Yes, this has been me.

Only problem: I'm seeing some empty spaces on shelves so I feel the need to fill them with new fabric.

I am a STASH builder; my neighbor calls it a hoard (she is no longer invited in my house).
Inform your neighbor that curating a fine fabric collection is an entirely separate hobby from quilting. : )