Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever...... >

Has anyone ever......

Has anyone ever......

Old 03-11-2019, 08:17 AM

Default Has anyone ever......

ripped all the quilting out of an almost fully quilted project?

I'm going to do it, anyway; I've made up my mind. But I'm curious. Am I the only one mad -- as in crazy -- enough to do this?

I'm also mad -- as in angry -- because I created this mess by not planning ahead and realizing how it would look. And now I can't live with it. The project is the little red string quilt I made, which was an experiment to begin with, but even experiments shouldn't look, as the Brits say, like a dog's dinner.

I quilted it on my DM, using a serpentine stitch.....and that's the problem, I think. I normally like using that stitch but on this quilt it looks like stray threads lying all over the quilt. I think it's because I quilted it diagonally, along the X formed by the center white strips and in the other direction from corner to corner of each little square.

In any case, it's coming out. If I don't give up and throw it in the trash, I'll re-quilt it using a straight stitch, not in the ditch but beside the ditch. It can't look worse, and may look better.....and maybe I can look at it without wanting to weep! Or curse!
Old 03-11-2019, 08:22 AM

Yes I have. If I am not happy with it not...I will never be happy with it. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:27 AM

Yep!
Then I stitched all round the top, put it in a lingerie bag and washed, dried Ironed and re quilted it. Looked perfect.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:42 AM

Not a whole quilt but a whole intricate section of a quilt that included quite a bit of backtracking. It took forever but I was glad I did it.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:43 AM

I haven't yet, but I am planning it. Made a two color quilt, took to the long arm quilter and after 6 months, I decided to collect the quilt. She had just finished it that day!! And she hurried too. One side has lots of puckers. So it needs to be redone. By someone else. Maybe I will hand quilt it myself. Take your time unstitching your quilt and when it is all finished, you will love it.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:52 AM

Yes. I wasn't crazy about how it turned out (I'm picky about not seeing holes where the stitches were), but a good pressing and starch helped a tad.

It was "in front of the television" work for me for several evenings.
Good luck!
Old 03-11-2019, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

If you're crazy then so am I because I have done the same thing. I made my brother a quilt and it was one of my first FMQing projects. It was horrible so I ripped it out and requilted it. He probably wouldn't have noticed in a million years but it bothered me enough to rip it out.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

If you don't mind possibly sacrificing the backing you can "skin" it. I know some people have successfully skinned the quilt without nicking the backing but you have to be very careful. Especially if you do it with a rotary cutter or blade type tool.

https://gypsymoonquiltco.wordpress.c...ing-made-easy/
Old 03-11-2019, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

I have but not on a big quilt. I'd start over making the whole quilt if it was heavily quilted and big.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:27 AM

Yes, my friend was very unhappy with the quilting on her quilt and I helped her unquilt the whole quilt. Amazingly it didn't take that long and she was so unhappy with the first quilting that it made the ripping worth the work.