Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HSTs (half square triangles) >

HSTs (half square triangles)

HSTs (half square triangles)

Old 07-04-2019, 06:17 AM

Default HSTs (half square triangles)

I'm looking ahead to a couple of quilts that I'd love to make. But, they are both full of HSTs and I tend to steer away from HSTs. If I follow the rule of adding 7/8th inch, they don't seem to come out the right size. I've checked my 1/4" presser foot and my square blocks come out perfect. So, I tend to oversize my HSTs and then cut every one down. That's a lot of cutting down when there are probably hundreds of those HSTs.

So I'm looking to get perfect HSTs without having to oversize and cut them all down. What do you do to get the perfect HST?
Old 07-04-2019, 06:33 AM

I use Thangles. Perfect every time.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:46 AM

I have vision issues and can't see ruler marks so well. For a long time my technique was to cut big and trim down, and I still use that a lot.

Over the last couple of years I have moved to what I used to dismiss as a "fabric wasteful" technique but it's not so bad for smaller triangles (say under 2.5"). Now I use the method where you take a square and draw a diagonal line down the middle that you sew on, then you hand cut of the excess (or blade cut it, but I usually trim and separate the sewn chain at the same time as I stand at the ironing board) and throw it away.

Edit: And the squares are easier to manage under the needle without fumble fingering them Some people are good with their eyes and don't draw lines, others will put a marker on their machine, I find I just draw the line as I cut and it goes lickety split!

For measurements you simply take the square measurement, so if you wanted a 2" finished HST you would start with your usual .5" for seam allowance -- and end there! (that would be cut at 2.5"). Math is easier, you can adjust for any sizes in the pattern, no seeing those little hatch lines on the rulers. For me it is more precise and faster. The amount thrown away is negligible in a small square and I figure pretty comparable to the cut large amount plus unused fabric due to size.

I still use the technique for larger squares just for the speed and precision, but then I usually go ahead and make a separate scrap HST out of the smaller left-over piece. For example, I made a Mayflower quilt (like winding ways but without the curve and the same background) and then a Broken Dishes out of the scraps of that, but that was large, like 4.5 or 5" cut.
Attached Thumbnails mayflower.jpg   broken-dishes.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 07-04-2019 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:03 AM

If you’re going to be making lots of hsts, this tool is worth it. There is no need to cut large and trim down. There is no waste. It’s good for other uses, too, as shown in the video. I love mine.

https://youtu.be/KKQ9VS8e0lI
Old 07-04-2019, 07:11 AM

I love HST quilts. Here's a link for a great tutorial on getting 8 at a time, all quite accurate and practically no variation because of bias sewing (sewn before cutting). Go to: http://quiltingdigest.com/make-8-hal...les-at-a-time/
Old 07-04-2019, 07:20 AM

Do you know anyone with a die cutter that you can use for the project? I would consider even purchasing the small go die cutter. Most of the triangle dies will fit in the small one.

I have the go-big and just purchased the small one for quiet projects. Of course, I just realized I "do" have the die to cut all the HST for my project after cutting most of them using the square method. Shoot!
Old 07-04-2019, 08:01 AM

Just watched the tutorial video from Shabby Fabrics and that ruler looks so nice to use. I might have to make a purchase! Thank you Jo Belmont for the link-especially if a person is making tons of HST.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:16 AM

I use Bonnie Hunter's method of cutting HST from strips - virtually no waste and I can get a near perfect size. You need either her Essential Triangle ruler or the Easy Angle ruler (or any other 90 degree triangle ruler). Tutorials can be found on her blog Quiltville.blogspot.com
Old 07-04-2019, 08:21 AM

I have a ruler very much like the one she used and have been making my HST that way for a long time Its invaluable
Old 07-04-2019, 08:42 AM

I just ordered this tool for $5.00. I have to wait a bit since it is coming for China. Free postage. I am always leery of ordering from over seas this way but since the cost was so low I took the plunge. Sounds like a nice notion to help with the hst's and other angles.