Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for the Perfect Iron... >

Looking for the Perfect Iron...

Looking for the Perfect Iron...

Old 09-28-2019, 07:50 AM

Default Looking for the Perfect Iron...

Aren't we all?!?!

My current iron, a Rowenta Pro made in Germany, is on the outs. It doesn't deliver burst of steam reliably and has leaked brown water. It steams vigorously until the water tank is down to half full, then nothing. I cleaned it last week with a mix of water/vinegar and it seems to be better but I no longer trust it, especially for ironing quilts that aren't mine.

Before that, I had a Black and Decker D2030 Digital Advantage which I loved. But I ruined it after moving to a house with softened water. Purchased another to replace it and used water from the outside spigot that wasn't softened bit it leaked so returned it. The beauty of this B&D is that it doesn't require that you empty the water tank after every use. I loved the iron but it only delivered 1500 watts and I've become accustomed to a hotter iron.

So I'm on a quest and would love your feedback on irons that might meet my desired requirements:
- 1800 watts
- easy to fill directly from a gallon milk jug
- can leave water in the tank after use
- on/off switch/button
- stainless, preferred, or ceramic soleplate - no Teflon
- not a Rowenta, have had two disappointments
- not a dry iron
- holds about 10 ounces or more of water

I'm sure there are other things I'd like but these are the biggies. I've searched pretty extensively but never know if I've missed anything. A new one that I just found Beautural 1800 by 1byone.com is interesting but the manual says to empty water.

Thanks,
Cathy
Old 09-28-2019, 05:09 PM

I wish I could help you but my iron is about 40 years old. My ironing board is about 55 years old (a bridal shower gift.) I’ve replaced the pad and cover several times.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:42 PM

Hi Iberna, nothing like the old ironing boards. When I built a big board and needed an ironing board base to put it on, I found a 45 year old ironing board on Craigslist. It was strong enough to hold it. Thanks for your reply.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:27 PM

Honestly, the best iron I've purchased is a Proctor Silex I got from the hardware store, of all places, for $10. It gets hot hot and best of all, doesn't turn off until I tell it to. However, this is my preference in an iron.

I was gifted a wonderful iron years ago, it was a Reliable Digital Velocity and I loved it. But it eventually quit working and when I went to replace it, I discovered it was out of my budget. Then I found the hardware store iron and have been happy since.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:38 AM

I finally just gave up on steam irons. I went on a similiar search several years ago and do believe that using/leaving water in any iron is a recipe for future failure. Therefore I bought a Rowenta 1600 in 2014 and have never put a drop of water in it. It is still going strong. I use one of those misting spray bottles and a wool pressing mat and that has been my solution to this ongoing search for a perfect iron.
I wish you much success. And please post what you finally find.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:32 AM

Take a look at yard sales/thrift stores for an "old" iron. You won't pay full price but those old irons were made of better stuff. Maybe you'll get a clunker but you won't have much invested either. Maybe look for one in the box that looks "new". Seems anything new nowadays has a short life expectancy and is made of lesser quality materials.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:40 AM

I'm currently using a Black and Decker that had been left here at the house by either a ex wife or former girlfriend before I married Steve. It was my last resort after two of my own irons failed and were tossed away. Using it as a dry iron and have a water mister from Quilt in a Day that I use with it... works great!!
Old 09-29-2019, 04:03 AM

i have an Oislo iron that i use spring water in and haven't had a problem.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:20 AM

I have 3 different irons all for different uses. All are steam irons. One the Swateck, is for my clothing or anything that needs starch. The second one is a black and decker. I use this for quilting and it works very well for glue basting and larger quilt making needs. I then have a small Sunbeam That is a travel size that is used on my ironing pad along side my cutting board. None of them are high end irons but work well. For me the key is always using distilled water for the steam. The B&D is more than 20 years old and has been a dream come true for me. Easy to fill, though I always use a funnel and no cleaning from rust or anything in the water. Also for me it is very important to keep my clothing iron away from my quilting irons.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:57 AM

I have had 3 Rowena irons. The 1st was wonderful but was broken when I moved. I replaced it and it leaked like a faucet. I bought another because I love the weight of it and I have never added water. I use a spray with it. Then I went to a retreat and another lady had a Hamilton Beach iron that was great. It never leaks, has the weight I love and cost less than $40. I will never pay for another high end iron!