Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity Quilting >

Charity Quilting

Charity Quilting

Old 10-01-2019, 09:33 AM

Default Charity Quilting

A lot of us do charity quilting projects. I just finished making 4 more quilted burp clothes for Crossroads Pregnancy Center. A charity that helps pregnant women of all ages, and mothers with babies and young children. I have been doing this charity for about a year. I do everything from quilts to bibs. I see many who say they are working on charity quilting but would like to expand my charity quilting project and know what charities you are quilting for. It will not only expand my personal knowledge but expand the possibilities for my own quilt guild or personal charity quilting. So what are your charities and what do you make?
Old 10-01-2019, 09:41 AM

I would look within your community as to what the needs are. Is there a veterans center that is in need? What about the cancer treatment center or dialysis clinic? Or the homeless shelter?

My friends and I have donated many quilts to all of these charities. Our community built a shelter for homeless veterans, so we made and donated quilts for every bed. One of our hospitals gives a quilt to every terminally ill patient, the thank-you cards from the surviving families would break your heart. The cancer center wouldn't take the quilts themselves because of the added work of washing them after every patient, so we gave the quilts directly to the patients. There are also well-known national charities, such as Linus quilts and Quilts of Valor, I prefer to keep my donations within my own community but you may find it rewarding.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

Jo in Iowa has created a list that you may want to check into. Anyone else know of a blogger who makes such a list that we can share?

http://www.joscountryjunction.com/fi...and-fabric-to/
Old 10-01-2019, 11:35 AM

For years my donation quilts went to Ronald McDonald house through my guild's program. I don't know about now but back then the siblings of the patient could get tops too so they needed all sizes and subject matter. We had a project corner at the quilt show for kids (of all ages) to draw pictures that we would put together at the show and throughout the year.

The ladies I quilt with on Tuesdays belong to a guild that has two projects, one is a "children's corner" and they take all sorts of quilts and clothing etc for up to age 18. The other is preemie quilts for one of the local hospitals. I've been giving them my donation tops for the last year.

Other groups in this area help out hospitals, whether for children or cancer or dialysis or other reasons. There is always the Red Cross.

One thing really needed around here are little bags of supplies for the homeless or extremely low income for personal supplies such as deodorant and toothbrushes. I've been part of groups that did everything from making the bags, shopping/donating the supplies, filling the bags, taking them to the shelter/parent organization.

I know some people don't like United Way, my area used to have a phone number to connect volunteers looking for the right group to support. Catholic and Lutheran social services also had similar contact numbers, and even if they don't it's amazing what a call to a switchboard can do.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

My daughter and I donate quilts, etc. to the foster kids in our county.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:19 PM

I've been doing quilting for a group at my church that makes quilts of all sizes for foster kids. My guild makes disaster quilts for any family in county that experiences fire, tornado,flood (winter is the most active time it seems), placemates for Meals on Wheels, bags for foster kids in local residential school for developmentally disabled, and other "as needed" efforts. We also made over 700 quilts of appreciation for all county wartime Vets over the course of 3 years. We've made "dinner scarves" (dignified bibs) for all the care centers and fidget lap quilts for the care centers to use with those with dementia.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:41 PM

-throw quilts for kids in foster care (I personally know a social worker so she passes the things along
-pillowcases for kids moving back into a housing after Hurricane Harvey
-drawstring bags filled with toiletries and toys after Hurricane Katrina
-doll quilts for a charity that does a worldwide shoebox Christmas outreach
Old 10-01-2019, 05:48 PM

Recently on one of the other threads here i shared about how our small guild handles “charity quilts”.

A core group of us make quilts all year as we can. We work from donated fabric & materials when available, otherwise from our stashes. When we get a quilt done we contact one of a few people designated as the “keepers of the quilts” - they are the people we call when there is an expressed need for a quilt.

Our goal is to always have at least one quilt available at a moments notice. So far in the last few years we have been blessed to always be able to respond in “real time” for any request for a quilt.

We dont vote on who gets a quilt or anything formal like that. We trust that when a request is made that the need is true and legitimate, but no questions asked. If we happen to get a thank you note, we share it with our membership. Its just that simple and so far it’s working.

Like pretty much every guild we used to pick special groups to receive quilts each year - after a while we kinda ran out of options. Sometimes if the same groups are recipients over and over each year we tend to notice a drop in participation and quilts donated. People can lose interest - it happens. And sorry to say, but we are all only human and sometimes things get a little “political” and feelings get hurt if your project of interest is not the one chosen in the current year.

So a few of us dared to do something really different. We got brave and let it be known that we were willing to try something new and we really didnt know what to expect,. We got a little backlash, but not as much as we expected (what??? you’re going to just start giving our quilts out???). Ok, well we might have heard a little skeptical grumbling but we had a vision!

We put the plan into action and each month made a point of reporting (and being accountable) for how many quilts were in the stockpile each month. Each quilt given out and any thank you notes received were documented and shared. We also make sure to let everyone know - every month - that quilts are available and who to contact if they know someone who might really appreciate a “warm hug” with best wishes from our guild.

It took a few months but eventually people got excited and jumped in! We made it clear at the beginning that it really was ok with us if the idea didnt appeal to anyone but us because we were committed to going ahead with it! Our attitude and excitement were very sincere. Now three years later we are still operating in this unconventional manner!

Some members still prefer to participate in a little more organized structure - and have chosen to make Quilts of Valor. We support and understand that and are very happy to see that happen as well! We even have some “overachievers” who contribute to both programs!

I very honestly am so happy that we stepped out there into the unknown.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:57 PM

In addition to programs for foster children, veterans, and homeless (all similar to some mentioned above), our guild recently coordinated with the police dept to donate quilts to them. They keep them on hand, so if they make contact with a child (such as in a domestic violence situation or anything else), they can give one to the child for a bit of extra comfort in a bad situation.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:34 AM

I'm trying to start something with my local Habitat for Humanity.