Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion sewing machine settings >

Free motion sewing machine settings

Free motion sewing machine settings

Old 10-21-2019, 01:56 PM

Default Free motion sewing machine settings

Hi, I'm looking for recommended settings for the sewing machine when free motion quilting to help keep stitch length more uniform. Also using the regular machine plate or single needle plate?
Old 10-21-2019, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

​I found my sweet spot by trial and error. I marked it with pencil on my machine. It is slightly on the slower side of half way. I keep my zig zag plate on because if you pull the needle slightly off center, you will strike the plate and break a needle or even worse, mess up the timing. I always wear my Machinger gloves for FMQ.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:30 PM
Gay

With free motion quilting you need your needle in the middle of the foot, and stitch length & width on zero. The only way to get even stitches is lots of practice. Some say to sew fast for best results, but I prefer a more steady rate. I haven't changed my needle plate from the zig-zag one in years.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:38 PM

It isn't the machine, it is practice in my own experience, and the fabric, batting, threads, and size make a difference on each project. I got a lot of my practice on panels with different areas, choosing echo or meander or straight line on the different areas. I do a practice piece with same type of fabric and batting before I start each project. After 30 years on a lot of different machines I find my favorite is with the walking foot and circles or asymmetrical lines. I dislike meandering because it seems to add nothing to any patchwork pattern. Just my opinion of course.

The magic isn't in the machine, it will be in you if you practice the craft.
Welcome to the board from SW Washington!
Old 10-21-2019, 02:51 PM

I use medium speed setting, gloves, silicon mat and practice before starting each quilting session to make sure I am comfortable in movements. I use zig zag plate as it is easy to pull needle to side when moving fabric. As KalmaQuilts mentioned using a quilt panel for practice or even an large print fabric works to get movements down, you can outline and echo the pattern. The best advice is to practice, practice and more practice.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:25 PM

Thank you, I do leave the same plate on, but read in the manual to switch plates. I do use the gloves and find they make a difference. Just need more practice. Getting better with each try.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:27 PM

Thanks for the advice, I have been using the zig zag plate as well. I do find that I am getting better with practice, but it does take a lot!
Old 10-21-2019, 05:30 PM

Thanks, I have read the length on 0 before, but someone the other day told me to put stitch length on 3? Not sure how this helps. I do feel that the more I practice the better I'm getting, it just takes quite awhile! Also feel that by keeping the speed steady and not to slows also helps form better stitches.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:33 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I am using the gloves, and silicone mat, and feel that both help to move the quilt. Now I think I just need to practice some more. I think its getting better, just not fast enough!
Old 10-21-2019, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the tips, I will continue to practice. That seems to be the consensus.