Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion sewing machine settings >

Free motion sewing machine settings

Free motion sewing machine settings

Old 10-24-2019, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

Kathy Dub, I'm so glad you started this thread. I'm working on getting better at FMQ.
I never heard of using a zig-zag stitch plate. I thought you were supposed to use the straight one.
Will try that!
Old 10-24-2019, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
You will find lots of advice from board members in the post I made below asking about free-motion quilting tips.

For me personally, this is what I do: straight stitch plate, Feed dogs up...stitch length and width are set to Zero, Supreme Slider on the machine bed to allow the quilt to move smoothly across the machine bed. Support the quilt with tables if needed to allow you to move the quilt smoothly. Chair height is important so you can keep your arms at a comfortable position. It helps to make a practice quilt sandwich using the thread, batting and fabric from your quilt. Have fun!

Please Give me your favorite tips for Free-Motion Quilting Success
Someone in the above link uses "stretch needles". Can anyone comment on them? They seem to be for stretchy fabrics not cotton??
Old 10-25-2019, 05:47 AM

I just took a sewing machine repair class & there was a section on needles. "Stretch" needles are a ball point, "Woven" needles are a sharp point & "Universal" needles are in between. The sharp needles will give ya a perfect straight stitch when ya are sewing or quilting just a straight stitch but can break a thread of the fabric. The ball point needles will slip between the threads, sometimes multiple threads & that will give ya a bit of a not so straight stitch. The Universal needles aren't so sharp that they break threads & will slip between the threads but fewer than the ball point ones. They recommend that we use Universal needles for most things including FMQing.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Ditto to what everyone has said. I've done FMQ on vintage machines and on a dinky Mechanical Brother from Costco. it is doable. I have a Brother PQ1500 now which is really nice, but, it doesn't make my quilting any better. That takes a lot of practice. For me, I have a "sweet spot" when all is in sync. Now, if I could make that happen even 95% of the time, that would be great! I have played around with needles and for me, a top stitch or microtex gives me the best results. My machine will take any thread. I recently did a quilt with Superior Monopoly using the needle they recommended - 70/10 top stitch, and change the tension to 2. Isacord in the bobbin. Worked perfectly. I was happily surprised. A lot of playing around with thread/needle combos and practice, practice, practice
Old 10-28-2019, 09:35 AM

Default follow up to free motion quilting

Thank you to all who gave me tips and tricks for free motion quilting, best advice: practice, practice, and practice some more. Wanted to let you know I did just that, and finally worked on the Christmas present planned for my Granddaughter and its looking pretty good. Stitches are more even, and from a distance anyway, looks awesome! thanks again to all of you who shared your advice!
Old 10-28-2019, 11:16 AM

Thanks, will try this sometime too.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:23 AM

So agree about "some days" Some days are meant to quilt, and others I should stay away from the sewing room! I am getting better with practice, and finding my own way to keep the movement steady. Thanks again for all the comments.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:08 AM

I'm glad you are practicing Kathy! One thing it is easy to forget, while we are Making the stitches, each stitch is enormous. When we look at the finished project each stitch is lost is the beauty of the whole. Happy Quilting, Sharyn