Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New hand piece quilter wanting to start Please Help >

New hand piece quilter wanting to start Please Help

New hand piece quilter wanting to start Please Help

Old 12-07-2019, 12:05 AM

Default New hand piece quilter wanting to start Please Help

I have a friend who wants to try to hand piece and I need help as I want to start her off with basics for Christmas present.I have a acrylic tumbling block template and some good Aurifil thread that I haven't used would this be bad to include? I have ordered fat quarters,but what else should I include?Don't want to go broke but also would like to start her on the right path.She does not have a lot to spend on craft but I don't want to discourage her either.Can you Help me .

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-07-2019 at 04:35 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-07-2019, 01:18 AM

I don't hand piece but think good needles and small snips would be essential. Does she have a way to cut the fabric? Rotary cutter and mat. I think with a coupon you could get those at a craft store - Joanns, Michaels, Hobby Lobby for a very good price. And if you have the cash left, a container of some kind to hold all of it in one place would be special.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:55 AM

You could also include a little thread catcher. For my hand quilting tools I use a small zippered bag - kind of like a make up pouch to hold everything. Similar idea could be used for her essentials. A small pincushion would be great as well. A thimble of some sort.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

Ginny Beyer,'s book on hand piecing - can buy used for around $10.00 on the internet.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:09 AM

What a wonderful and very thoughtful gift idea!

I am sure that it and your efforts to help your friend get started will be appreciated much beyond Christmas and will give you both many hours of sewing time together!

In this day of smartphones, facebook, etc its so important for each of us to reach out and share the joys of quilting so that they dont “disappear” in future generations! 😊
Old 12-07-2019, 07:06 AM

That is very nice of you to help her out and you are right-she doesn't need to get discouraged. I agree with a small pair of scissors and maybe a good pencil to mark her pieces to cut out. As time goes on she will find things that she needs and would make hand piecing easier but it sounds like you have her on a great start.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

some sort of instruction/demo - book, suggestions on what to watch on YouTube, class, lessons, sew-along

thimble - they come in various sizes and styles
needles
pin cushion
template plastic
straight edge/ruler
fabric
small scissor
thread
markers for template plastic and fabric
sandpaper or sandpaper board

cutting tools -
Old 12-08-2019, 03:25 AM

I am working on a hand quilted piece now and although it is not my first, it is my first large quilt to hand quilt. Start this newbie with a small project. A candle mat or doll quilt or a small seasonal wall hanging. Hand quilting takes much more time than one would guess. I would not want you to invest in her newfound efforts only to have here be discouraged with the amount of time it takes to finish even a small sized quit.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:13 AM

I second the Ginny Beyer Book. It did more for my hand piecing skills than anything. Aside from that, some scrap fabric to practice with, I would think a small pair of scissors, a pack of good needles, some sort of thimble, thread, a few pins, a marking tool, and a pin cushion.

I started out quilting with handwork, and I still keep a bag of scraps in my car to sew with.

I would have loved just enough tools and fabric to help me get started as a gift...it is very thoughtful of you!
Old 12-08-2019, 05:03 AM

You are what good quilting friends are all about! I have a pouch that has all the tools I need including a 6" ruler and cutting mat. It also has a small rotary cutter, snips, thread needle threader, thread scissors, extra needles and bees wax. I also keep in my pouch any templates I am using and pieces I am stitching. Enough so I don't run out on a road trip. I do a good deal of hand stitching so I have everything I can think of at a hand's grasp.