Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Greetings from the Redwoods! >

Greetings from the Redwoods!

Greetings from the Redwoods!

Old 12-22-2006, 05:53 PM

Hello from Northern California, Humboldt County.
I retired about 6 years ago from teaching first grade. The summer I retired my husband and I left southern California, where I grew up, and moved to the redwoods, well really close to them!
I started quilting when I was in high school. My great aunt gave me a yo-yo quilt she had started. I finished it the summer of my senior year. I really had no idea I was quilting. I made my next quilt about 40 years later while visiting my sister. She helped walk me through an Elenor Burns pattern. I finished it before our vacation was over.
Finally 6 years ago I cleared the decks and started really quilting. I have to say it's taken over my life and I've not regretted it!
Hope to learn lots more from reading all your comments on line here.
(Forgive the typing. My brain goes faster than my fingers or the other way around. I'm not sure which!)
Old 12-22-2006, 05:54 PM

Well, that certainly didn't go where it was supposed to go, now did it?
Sigh!
Well, I tried.
Just ignore me.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:40 PM

Hi!
Welcome to the Quilting Board! I'm fairly new here, too!. I'm from WV...about 3,000 miles away, but we're just neighbors on here! :)
A first grade teacher....that makes you someone special in my heart. My little girl is in Pre-K, and I think those first few years of school are the most important! I think all the years of school are important, but the very first few are special. I remember my first grade teacher was wonderful. She did lots of crafts and unique things with us. Those elementary years seem so special in my memory.
Ugh...I always run off at the "tips of my fingers" on here these days! I'm a SAHM (stay at home Mom) of 2 little ones, and I don't get out much...so, I am in need of attention from another adult BAD! LOL! My hubby is wonderful, but sometimes he works too much. That's what brings the bread to the table, though. He is wonderful.

Care to tell us some more about those redwoods???????

~~~~~Miranda
Old 12-22-2006, 07:15 PM

Miranda,
Those trees are big! Words just can't do justice in describing them. There's nothing I like better than a quiet walk in the trees. We moved here with the idea our kids would enjoy vacationing here. It's working pretty well so far.

My daughter is living in Virgina right now. Her husband is in the army. She is also a SAHM and has 3 boys. The oldest is 8 and the youngest just turned 1. She has her hands full.

Thanks for the kind words about first grade teachers. I had the best job possible, I think. Enjoy those little ones because they grow up way too fast. By the end of first grade they are becoming very independent!

TTFN,
Yvonne
Old 03-19-2007, 09:04 PM

When I saw you were from Humbolt County, I knew exactly where it was and (still) wish I was there!

The Redwoods are my favorite trees and there's just no comparing the beauty and peace I feel when I'm walking in or even driving through those beauties!

My dream home would be right in the middle of them with huge windows so I could feel like I'm actually in them.

(Unfortunatly, I am a comfort-seeking type human and would rather be in a temperature controlled place. That's where my dream comes in.) :)

The first time I remember experiencing the redwoods was when I was quite young (single digit age) and was at Muir Woods National Monument, north of San Francisco, (my brain is empty right now and I can't tell if my spelling, grammar, etc. is right or not), and there's a few places between here and Santa Cruz that's a little easier to get to.

For those who don't know, let me educate you a little about this fabulous tree!

The Coast Redwood is one of three species of trees known as redwoods. It is an evergreen, long-lived, tree living for up to 2,000 years, and is commonly considered the tallest tree in the world, reaching up to 115.5 m (378 ft) in height and 7 m (23 ft) diameter at the base. Look up Redwood in Google (image) or whatever and you can get a little taste.

Getting back to you, Yvonne, I am in total agreement with Miranda! Teachers, in general should be admired and respected. I am greatful the teachers I had and wish there was more we could do for these "heros".

As this reply to this particular message is months after you originally posted it, I've been able to see some of your projects (beautiful) and appreciate your humor. I'm so glad you're a part of this "family".

Celeste
Old 03-20-2007, 12:48 PM

Celeste, you make me blush. Thank you!

I feel so lucky to be living in Northern California. I've always wanted a home by a stream with trees all around. When it came time for us to choose our new retirement home practicality set in. We live in a town, close to medical facilities. We have city sewer, water and lights. It's not the country home of my dreams but I can get to those big trees in less than an hour and spend the day there and sleep in my own bed at night. It's not a bad life!!

Redwood trees like lots and lots of moisture. Therefore there is a lot of rain and fog in this region. I have learned to enjoy the weather. I don't have to go out in the rain if I don't want to (no recess duty to take!) and I have more time to quilt! It's a win-win situation :!:
Old 03-20-2007, 06:11 PM

While, like you, I'd rather have the country life, I am glad you are close to hospitals and have the other less-worriesome conveniences.

My parents are at retirment age and I'm happy with them where they are: 1. close to me! 2. close to the hospitals.

Me, I like rain and fog. Heat is not my friend. If I'm gonna be outside, I like the refreshing feel of coolness on my face. NO SNOW, though!

When you meet other teachers, could you let them know of my family and I's appreciation?

Thanks,
Celeste