Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your definition of a Quilt Worthy person? >

What is your definition of a Quilt Worthy person?

What is your definition of a Quilt Worthy person?

Old 05-30-2022, 09:10 PM

My parents or my spouse. That's it.

This hobby is for me. It's my private time, my zen moments, my own private enjoyment of creating personal art. It's a private thing for me. It's also WAY too expensive and time intensive for gift giving.

I greatly admire quilters who donate quilts and gift them to family and friends. I'm also frankly astounded that they have that much free time and extra money to be able to do so. That's not where I'm at.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

I'm the only quilter in my entire family but they all like quilts so I make quilts for them. My family is large so I'm plugging along. I really love doing it for them or else I wouldn't. Quilting is my joy and nothing can turn it into anything else. My goal is for every member of my family to have one and also a few special friends.
Right now I'm hand quilting one that I bought at an antique shop. It's an old beauty, all hand pieced. Not sure where it will end up but I'm enjoying quilting it while I watch the ball games at night. I'll probably give it to one of my sons. I want all 3 sons to have a hand quilted quilt and so far only one has one.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:47 AM

I should add that in order for me to make a quilt for someone, I have to really like them and they have to have been really nice to me.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:21 AM

A quilt worthy person is someone who touches my heart.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:17 AM

Well, you got me on the term "worthy". I don't think I'm 'great' enough to determine worthiness, but when I give anything to someone, it's more about how I feel about them and what they mean to me, keeping their own tastes in mind when I choose what to give/make them. If they're not a fan of homemade, I don't give them homemade.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:29 PM

I am making quilts for my grandchildren to give them at graduation. Other than that, I only make quilts for family members who I have discussed making a quilt, the colors and gone over the design. I know they want one, and know what they want. I know that not everyone is a "quilt person" and I don't want them to feel bad not using it. The only exceptions I have made to this was a throw quilt I made for my sister-in-law who walks a couple miles every day, even in the winter. I know she gets very cold so I surprised her with one she can wrap up in when she gets home. I also made one for my 96 year old former 4-H advisor after talking to her daughter as a surprise. Both were thrilled.