Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your definition of a Quilt Worthy person? >

What is your definition of a Quilt Worthy person?

What is your definition of a Quilt Worthy person?

Old 05-29-2022, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
Who is quilt worthy?
... I think kindness can have a delayed reaction to some and others are just never going to open their hearts. And that's okay.
I agree with this. I also give freely to those that are important to me, and don't worry how the quilt is used. It's a gift and as with all gifts, I hope the recipient enjoys it.
Old 05-29-2022, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by my-ty View Post
I agree with this. I also give freely to those that are important to me, and don't worry how the quilt is used. It's a gift and as with all gifts, I hope the recipient enjoys it.
I do try to avoid giving gifts that are in the "Thanks, but you really should not have" category.

Some people - hard as it may be to understand - just do not want a hand-made quilt. They would be much happier with a fleece throw or a store bought bed cover.

My criteria is that the person actually wants a quilt and would take decent care of it.

"Decent care" - not used for a paint drop cloth or under a car to catch oil drips.
Old 05-29-2022, 11:26 AM

I agree with Tallchick. Some who appreciates the time and effort and will use it.
Old 05-29-2022, 04:42 PM

Quilt worthy for me is someone who needs a gentle hug and when a quilt is gifted they are in awe! Although I know it has imperfections, the recipient is happy.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:04 PM

A quilt worthy person is__________ someone like me!-lol
I don't keep my quilts but give them to family and my pet charities. However, I have old 'seen better days' quilts from my mamma and Momo. I have another that my mother-in-law made us 50 some odd years ago. She made it with wash cloths, you used to get, in washing machine powder. She sashed around the cloths with a green cotton. The edges are worn from use. I appreciated them even before I officially-lol- started piecing and quilting bed quilts in 2019. I love the weight of them to sleep, even in warm weather. They comfort me like an old friend. I guess a quilt worthy person is someone who looks at your work with love.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:44 PM

Default Quilt

I nominated my Brother just younger than me for a Quilt of Valor in 2019. Goodness, those folks moved so quickly that I had to call his daughter to help me with this since he lived with her. Stacy was very excited about it and contacted the lady from Quilt of Valor to make the arrangements. They had a party on Saturday night of that week
and the people from Quilt of Valor came to the party and awarded him the quilt. I have never seen my brother so excited over anything and so honored over that quilt. He took it into his room as soon as they left and spread it out on his bed so that he would be warm when he went to bed. The quilt of Valor Foundation are wonderful loving people.

Last edited by PATTIESPEARL; 05-29-2022 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:27 AM

I don't even think about "quilt worthy". I give to those who the Lord impresses on me. Frequently, not always but often, I will hear a quiet whisper in my ear to give the quilt to _______. Other times, I just make a quilt and set it aside and that same voice will remind me months later that the quilt is perfect for _________. Fom time to time am reminded that I was given an abundance of fabric and a joy in creating and to use it to bless others. No questions asked. Like many other quilters, I love to try new patterns, new colors and produce more quilts than I can gift to my family. So give the quilts away.

I also give lots of quilts to Project Linus. Are the recipients "quilt worthy"? Some probably are not, but that is not the point. I am giving to them to fulfill a momentary need for kind warmth and affection. They will remember and in the future perhaps do the same for someone else. My demonstration of kindness may help to make a little change in some persons life that will bloom into more kindness for others in the recipient's future.

It seems that we are all finding ways to define "worthy" that fit our interests and our passions. Lovely, Quilters are lovely, generous and compassionate people. I am happy to be counted as one of them.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:41 AM

WMUTeach - I wholeheartedly agree with all that you've said. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by PATTIESPEARL View Post
I nominated my Brother just younger than me for a Quilt of Valor in 2019. Goodness, those folks moved so quickly that I had to call his daughter to help me with this since he lived with her. Stacy was very excited about it and contacted the lady from Quilt of Valor to make the arrangements. They had a party on Saturday night of that week
and the people from Quilt of Valor came to the party and awarded him the quilt. I have never seen my brother so excited over anything and so honored over that quilt. He took it into his room as soon as they left and spread it out on his bed so that he would be warm when he went to bed. The quilt of Valor Foundation are wonderful loving people.
Hearing stories like this brings happy tears to my eyes. It is good to get feedback, but you usually can tell when you give it, the veterans are appreciative. They are so humble and we are so proud of them! Give your brother a hug from me and I too, thank him for his service.
Old 05-30-2022, 06:46 PM

This is an excellent thread. It's really got me thinking.