Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing through “white on white” fabric >
  • Sewing through “white on white” fabric

• Sewing through “white on white” fabric

Old 10-10-2022, 04:36 PM

Default Sewing through “white on white” fabric

In the past I have sent tops out to be quilted but that is becoming costly. So I am trying walking foot to quilt a top I made years ago (photos attached). In the top there is “white on white” fabric where it would appear the top white is silk screened. I am having skipped stitch issues when sewing through this. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Sue
    Old 10-10-2022, 04:59 PM

Sue
    No photos posted.

Need to go to Manage Attachments and then upload nothing larger than the size stated. I've had problems with this and it is always my fault for not cropping before I try to upload them.
    Old 10-10-2022, 05:05 PM

Actually, it says 5MB is the limit, but that is NOT true. Have you tried a larger needle? From my understanding you want sharp not Universal needle points.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
    Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap
    And how to use an ipad to post pictures can be found at Uploading photos

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
    Click on red "Reply" button
    Click on the paper clip icon
    Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
    Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
    After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
    Old 10-10-2022, 05:42 PM

it could be the needle, that white on white is troublesome. That UPLOAD button hides off to the right of your screen, so scroll and find it. then you can see the link loaded.
    Old 10-10-2022, 05:46 PM
    Power Poster

you have to scroll way way way over to the right for the upload button .could that be modified?
    Old 10-10-2022, 06:31 PM

These are the shots of "MY ALOHA" quilt with a close up of the white on white fabric.
    Attached Thumbnails full-aloha.jpg   white-white.jpg  
    Old 10-10-2022, 08:15 PM
    Power Poster

Some white on white are thicker then others. If you know the quilting line you plan to sew, I might use a Hera marker or similar to go down the line to kind of break the surface tension on the embossed white before stitching.
    Old 10-11-2022, 04:15 AM

Interesting. I use white on white very often and have not had any problems with quilting the fabric with ease. Some good ideas posted above. Will watch my own quilting more closely to see if the w/w or cream on white present consistent problems. There are many factors that can cause a problem and just as many solutions: machine, needle size, thread, pressure, speed, tension, and the fabric. Keep after it, SueT until you find the answer for YOU.
    Old 10-11-2022, 05:38 AM

I had some problems with skipped stitches a while back. I even tried two different machines and still had the problem - and come to think of it, it was on white on white fabric. I ended up getting some other thread. I was using all purpose polyester thread made by allary corporation that I think I bought at Walmart, thinking it was Coats and Clark. I changed to another brand of thread and bought some Schmetz nonstick needles at the suggestion of "quilted sunshine". It worked. I finished the quilt in time for the baby, even though it took forever to get the needles from Amazon. If you do this, run the needle on scrap fabric for a while, as it leaves a tiny black residue for the first few feet of sewing.
    bkay
    Old 10-11-2022, 07:13 AM

This quilt has definitely become my challenge! First with matching up all the lei colors. I couldn’t decide on how to quilt it causing me to fold it up and put it away for a year and a half. Hand quilting through the whites was painful so i took out all my stitches and Decided to switch to walking foot. I have a simple but meaningful design for the quilting and now the fabric problem again.
    I’ve never heard of the special needle you suggested but am going to give it a try. This will not beat me!!
    Thanks for your suggestion! Happy Quilting! Sue