Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting - UGH!! >

Cutting - UGH!!

Cutting - UGH!!

Old 04-25-2023, 12:23 PM

Unhappy Cutting - UGH!!

I'm about ready to start the next project which means cutting (my least favorite part of quilting) - UGH. This is going to be a pattern I came up with (very simple). The block will be two 5" squares sewn together, then sewn to a 5" x 10" rectangle to make the block. Then I will sew 9 blocks into a row with 10 rows total. This means lots of cutting, especially the squares. I may not cut the rectangles and just chain stitch the sewn squares to a strip (WOF) and trim up later. I guess I am just throwing this out there for any tips on quick cutting since I need so many. As a side note, I do have a charm pack so that will cut down on the number of squares I need.

Shari
Old 04-25-2023, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

I enjoy cutting, so the only suggestion I have - accuracy in cutting - even relatively large pieces, makes assembly ever so much easier.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:43 PM

After you sew the 2 5” squares they will only be 9.5”. Cut your long piece 5 X 9.5. Your block will be 9.5 X 9.5 unfinished. And 9 X 9 finished.
Old 04-25-2023, 04:40 PM

My 'Stripology rulers' have changed my life. Cutting in now the fun part.
Old 04-25-2023, 05:50 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

If you want to do more quilting but don’t like cutting, you might consider an Accuquilt. Due to hand pain, I invested in one and it has been a game changer.
A Stripology ruler is also a big help, I agree.
Old 04-25-2023, 10:02 PM

I invested in the Accuquilt system about 12 years ago. I saw it first on the tv show Simply Quilts with Alex Anderson. Thought it was way too costly, but then I saw it on another show (not sure which one) and thought I needed to see iit in person. Then I went to The Road to California quilt show and there was a booth put on by Quilt In A Day - it was all Accuquilt. And I was able to see it, ask questions and try it. I was alone at the show, so there was no one to talk me out of it. When I tried it the first time, I was not happy. Then I watched the videos, followed the directions (what a concept!) and I have loved it ever since. It is safe to say now, if I can't cut it with Accuquilt, I am not going to make it. I started off with the GO, the 2.5 inch strip die, the Value die, clam shell, and 2 sizes of the tumbler die. You do need to be to rough cut yardage to fit the dies, but that's so much easier than trying to accurately cut pieces with scissors or even rotary cutting with templates. A friend and I cut out all the pieces for a king size DWR quilt in a couple hours. (And that included ironing and starching the fabric. Don't even get me started on triangles.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 04-25-2023 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-26-2023, 01:17 AM

I agree with others about the Accuquilt and the Stripology ruler, game changers for sure! I do not mind cutting, I just turn on some music, and break down everything that needs to be cut in sections and take breaks and stretch in between.
Old 04-26-2023, 01:48 AM

Starch is your friend. Crisp fabric is easier to cut!
Old 04-26-2023, 02:24 AM

I do starch my fabric before cutting which is a trick I learned a long time ago. I have look at the stripology ruler, but it may have been the price of it which is why I never bought one. May need to look into that again. I have also looked at the accuquilt, but again, price was "wow, and not sure the other half would agree :P.
Old 04-26-2023, 03:15 AM

I have both the Stripology ruler and an Accuquilt. I only use the Accuquilt occasionally but always use the Stripology ruler. I agree with Tallchick, put on some music or an audio book and take breaks. Makes me a happier person for the cutting portion that way.