Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cutting - UGH!! >
  • Cutting - UGH!!

• Cutting - UGH!!

Old 04-26-2023, 03:58 AM
    Power Poster

, if I can't cut it with Accuquilt, I am not going to make it.

That's me too! I never liked cutting so when I heard about the Accuquilt coming out with a portable die cut machine for quilting I pre ordered it. No one in my guild had any idea what it was, most thought it was a foolish toy. But it wasn't long when I was asked to please bring my Go and dies to sew days. I did for a bit but decided they could buy their own. I got one of the first ones with all available dies then and it's still working. The grands use it to cut felt shapes.
    I remember when I first got it my husband asked me why I was carrying a portable typewriter around all of a sudden. LOL
    bought a new one half off when the company was being sold and had great sales. Also when Hancock's went out of business I bought a new Go in box for $75. Amazing still not many knew what it was. . I have two sizes of the Stripologoly and I do use them more then I thought I would. All but one of my sew group has the Accquilt Go or Go Big. She loves to cut fabric.
    Old 04-26-2023, 04:37 AM

I have the Accquilt Go and have had it for a long time. I limited myself to the basic dies. I use my strip cutters all the time and I have various sizes of squares, triangles, and quarter square triangles. I also now have some of the others too like triangle in a square, tumbler, and drunkard's path. I usually wait now until there is a sale and try to get enough to get the free shipping. Around the holidays, they usually have a pretty good sales price on various items. I also have two sizes of the stripology rulers and also really like them. I use them when I do not have the right sized die and also sometimes when I just don't feel like setting up the accuilt or when I have just a few to cut or when I am sub cutting strip sets. Now that I am older and have lost some dexterity in my hands, I noticed I really struggle to hold a ruler to make a cut. Yep, I am spoiled now.
    Old 04-26-2023, 07:47 AM

sschick, why is cutting an 'ugh' for you? If it's the tedium, maybe you could alternate with other tasks. If it's hard on your hands, the Martelli ergonomic cutter eliminates hand stress (there is somewhat of a learning curve). If it's hard on your back, are you waiting too long to change your blade? If it's slippage, I recommend the Guidelines4Quilting gripper strips (have them on the back of all of my rulers).

Old 04-26-2023, 09:15 AM
    Power Poster

I also have an AccuQuilt and love it, but mine is the Studio 2. I bought all the strip dies with it, and I use it all the time. I don't mind sub-cutting for other shapes and haven't seen the need to purchase additional dies. The only drawback with the Studio 2 is that it's very heavy, and so are the strip dies, so it is not at all portable.
    Old 04-26-2023, 09:31 AM
    Power Poster

I LOVE cutting! Maybe you have a quilting friend you would trust to cut your quilt out for you, in exchange for something like you binding her quilts...
    Old 04-26-2023, 09:38 AM

sschick - I hear your pain. I find it can become tedious when cutting a large number of pieces but I console my pain with the pleasure of watching the piles of cut pieces grow and think of the potential in those stacks. I've put Omnigrid Invisigrip on the back of my rulers so it is easier to ensure they do not slip when cutting.

I'm fascinated by both the AccuQuilt and stripology rulers but have not invested. Were I to visit a quilt show demonstration and have the opportunity to try for myself, I'd probably buy on the spot.
    Old 04-27-2023, 05:20 AM

I think I would get a lot of use out of the Stripology Ruler XL, but man, the 74.99 price tag for a ruler is a little steep. How fragile it is with all the slits? I cut a lot of strips and this would be a time saver for sure, but I just don't know if it justifies the price.
    Old 04-27-2023, 05:21 AM

joe'smom - I think cutting is mostly an ugh for me because of slippage and sometimes just the shear number of pieces needed. I started cutting yesterday for the next quilt and have half of the squares I need all cut. It helped that I had a charm pack to start. To combat the slippage, I placed a hard cover book ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix") on the ruler and that helped tremendously. Only slipped slightly once cutting the strips.
    Old 04-27-2023, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by sschick
    joe'smom - I placed a hard cover book ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix") on the ruler and that helped tremendously. Only slipped slightly once cutting the strips.
    That's what I do. Only I use a 5lb exercise weight that I picked up at walmart. At times, I use two of them, if I am cutting through multiple layers.
    Old 04-27-2023, 06:51 AM
    Power Poster

Odiff Grippy Ruler spray is what I use for all my rulers, even Creative Grids. it works. Easy to apply and lasts a long time. Easy to remove if needed. Quilter's Select rulers have a non slip coating already applied.