Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design helper and hexagons >

Design helper and hexagons

Design helper and hexagons

Old 02-14-2024, 02:46 AM

Default Design helper and hexagons

Hi, can anyone help. I use a large pattern fabric with anything from 14 to 18" repeat, 44" wide fabric with triangles at 3.75 as suggested, however my hexagons never turn out like the ones the design helper shows for the same fabric
Old 02-14-2024, 04:47 AM

Did you change the width setting on the Design Helper to the width of the fabric repeat?
Old 02-14-2024, 05:12 AM

It all depends on where your cuts are. You won’t get exactly like the design showed unless you cut in the same spot
Old 02-14-2024, 06:04 AM

I'm guessing you are using https://oneblockwonder.com/design-helper/ Are you layering when you cut the strips? There is also an option to "Turn All" after you have put your fabric repeat and measurements in.

Another possibility is that since they are equilateral triangles, it would be possible to turn some so that they don't have the same pattern at the center point.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:18 AM

If you are using https://oneblockwonder.com/design-helper/, double check that you have entered the correct size for the width of image. It defaults to 40" width, so if your image is showing only 20" of fabric, it will show you a very different size (and count) of triangles/hexagons than if you enter the correct width.
Additionally, I believe that this tool does *not* account for seam allowances; it shows you hexagons as they would appear if you put them together with raw edge applique (or something else similar) rather than sewing them together with a 1/4" seams.