Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
reseaching embroidry machine? >

reseaching embroidry machine?

reseaching embroidry machine?

Old 01-04-2010, 01:56 PM

Have been looking at a pfaff as I already have one but liking the huskavarna. Question is the pfaff only comes with 1 hoop as the H comes with 3.
If your doing a small design is it better to have a small hoop or does it matter?
hoping to drive 2 hrs thurs if weather permits and look
Thanks Gale
Old 01-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

you can do small designs on larger hoops, but you waste more stabilizer :wink:
Old 01-04-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by grma33
Have been looking at a pfaff as I already have one but liking the huskavarna. Question is the pfaff only comes with 1 hoop as the H comes with 3.
If your doing a small design is it better to have a small hoop or does it matter?
hoping to drive 2 hrs thurs if weather permits and look
Thanks Gale
The general rule of thumb is to use the hoop the size of the design. My BIG problem with Pfaff is the difficulty using them. They seem to be set up to make things more work than it should be. I love & really recommend the Brother/Babylock machines. The simplicity of use and beauty of the stitches is amazing.
Judi in Ohio
Old 01-04-2010, 04:48 PM

I also recommend Brother/Babylock machines. Just bought a good used Ellegante. Looking forward to getting it soon. Had the upgrades done so it is current with the new models.

Bernina would be my 2nd choice, but again, they have a learning curve, and the technology in them is not as user-friendly as with Babylock/Brother.

Whatever choice you make, be sure to get their support in classes, machine orientation, etc. This is to assure you get most service for your money on a machine. You have to be able to feel successful in using the machine, so test-sew on some using a variety of threads, stabilizers, fabrics, and projects that you are most likely to make with your machine. See how it does in terms of stitching. Is the machine easy to adjust tensions, stitching, feet pressure, etc??? These things will dictate for you the reliability of sewing and or embroidery.

Wishing you luck, and happy sewing on whatever machine you choose.

SassySewer53
Old 01-04-2010, 06:23 PM

i love my Brother 4500D I do disney stuff for my grandson. it is very easy to use.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

I have a Pfaff and really like it.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:46 PM

I agree with Judy and Sassy about the Babylocks. I have a Babylock Essante and also a Bernina Artista 640. They both do nice work but the Babylock is way more user friendly and you don't need a special program to download or put designs on the machine like you do with the Bernina.
I think I would want more than one hoop also. What is the size of the hoop that comes with it? Can the machine accommodate a larger size or is it limited to the one size that comes with it? if it is a large hoop then it should be fine but if not you may get frustrated when you want to do a design and can't because it won't fit in the hoop. I just had that happen with the Bernina and oddly it is a Latte quilt design which uses the Bernina.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:12 AM

When I was checking out embroidery machines I went to http://sewing.patternreview.com/EmbroideryMachinery/ and read up on them. There are reviews on just about every type of machine available.

Mary
Old 01-05-2010, 03:35 AM

Thanks Queen
Will check out these rewiews and will check out the brother machines as well.
Gale