Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How is brother with Embroidry? >

How is brother with Embroidry?

How is brother with Embroidry?

Old 11-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Banned

Hi
I have recently posted about considering the Elna brand, and I am going to get one in a few months. My question is, How is the computerized brothers with doing designs etc.
Both my machines(singers) do not do any embroidary, and neither would the Elna. Is brother good or is it just cheap?
Thanks
Any other suggestions that is under 400$ would be apperciated as well
Sorry for spelling mistakes
Emily
Old 11-24-2008, 12:39 PM

Brother has the exclusive contract with Disney. To get Disney you have to have a "D" on your machine. That part might not matter to you, but consider the following. If you go into the store in Disney were you can have ANY Disney product embroidered. The machine there is a Brother. I haven't gone out of my way to take photos of my embroidery, but my machine is a dream and sews redwork that looks just like handsewn.

Be it free patterns or bought ones they sew out beautifully. I think these show off some of the embroidery mine has done.

The tension is so easily adjusted it must have been designed by a quilter. Mine is a bit out of that price range though. :(

These are the bibs I made for Live2teach
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43613[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-14432.jpe   attachment-43613.jpe  
Old 11-24-2008, 12:46 PM

Here are a couple more I found
For this one I was trying to make FSL (free standing lace) without using wash out stablizer.

The snowmen are at the Brother site for free download, so is the critters in the bibs. The flowers are standard on my machine... The blue-redwork is freedownload from http://Annthegran.com oh and so is the lace
Old 11-24-2008, 01:00 PM

Hi, I have a Brother Innovis and the embroidery is suberb, make sure you get a machine that you can download designs from your computer, not all have. I especially like making my labels with it. However mine was more that 400$

Elle
Old 11-24-2008, 01:02 PM

Ditto on the ability to download Elle. A hidden cost to keep in mind is that if it requires a card, you will need the card and the card reader I think they're going for just over $100 these days on ebay.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:07 PM

I have two brother machines and I like both of them. The first one was in your price range and I picked it up at Walmart. I thought when I bought it that I would probably only do quilt labels boy was I wrong. I used it a lot. I just recently picked up another brother machine that takes a larger hoop and it was about $1000 but I really like them. The $400 ones are a great starter machine to see if you will really use them as much as you think.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:30 PM

a month or so ago, i got a White 3300 (made by Brother) and i LOVE it! using it way more than i expected. i got it used on Craigslist for $120. just yesterday i ordered the PED-basic card writer ($114) so i can transfer embroidery patterns to the card that fits in the machine. i can't complain at all, and hopefully when i decide to spend the money on a Brother with a bigger embroidery field (mine is 4.3 X 4.3), i can get the money back out of this one on Craigslist.

i don't think i'd ever spend more than $1000 on an embroidery-only machine.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:11 PM

Start looking on Craigs list...
When I first started sewing, I got an inexpensive Brother and as I became more experianced I got a Viking Quilt machine and then I became interested in emb. and bought the 8500D by Brother.
I eventually had to sell one of my machines and I sold the Viking...because I liked to be able to emb as well...
I finally got the Brother 4500Duetta this last May and I love it.
It is more than I want, as was the 8500D when I bought it, but I have grown into and out of some machines that I owned...I am growing into this 4500D. As well as keeping my 8500D for piecing and if I want to, emb 2 projects at once...
To me, it is better to purchase a bit more than to buy twice...buy one to make you reach a bit more and grow into...
Just my 2stitches...
K
Old 11-25-2008, 08:38 AM

I have the inexpensive Disney brother and I love it. I do everything on it. Need to order the writer program and chip so I can do more.

Linda
Old 11-25-2008, 12:46 PM

Elizabeth- what model do you have?

There's one on craigslist locally that I saw and was unsure.

thanks!