Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about SITD >

question about SITD

question about SITD

Old 02-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I have seen message board members talk about SITD. Can anyone explain this to me. My Grandmother used to do this but she liked to keep her secrets secrets. She took everything to the grave with her. No food recipes, No quilting patterns not a thing. Not even when I would ask her to show me something. She would just show up at my home with it already done.
I would appreciate any help with this.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

that is stitch in the ditch which means to stitch within the seam line or right next to it. i do next to it. you simply put your hands on either side of the seam going under the needle and stitch very close to the seam line. when you let go of the fabric the stitching won't show for the most part.
i don't like stitching on top of the seam threads myself. but it's an easy way to get a quilt finished.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

Thank you so much. I have been quilting for years but i still have so much to learn.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

I generally machine quilt but was thinking about trying it by hand. That is if I have the patience to do it.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

here is an example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb3qmsNbTqE

I actually have a special foot to do SID. I compare it to a plough in the field following a row. The little guide follows the seam line.

It really helps to have all the seams pressed to one side when doing SID or the needle wants to jump to the low side. I call that MAD or meandering around the ditch.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:49 PM

I had the honor of scribing for the judge at our county fair. She would say "stitches in the ditch should stay in the ditch." She would also comment that SITD is one of the hardest quilting techniques to perfect. I never worry about it too much as I never plan on entering a quilt to be judged....I don't need the pressure! :)
Old 02-04-2010, 02:13 PM

Thank goodness it's one of the hardest stitches to perfect! ;-)

I thought I was making a hash of something that was supposed to be one of the simplest ways to quilt.

However many times I've tried... I still can't seem to get this technique right, so I always end up pulling out the stitches and quilting on the diagonal.

Looks like shopping for a new foot attachement is on the cards.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

I mostly FMQ or once in a while I will stitch with my walking foot and let it ride against a straight seam, like the border seam or down a long strip when I make that type of quilt. I'm no good at SID, I find it hard to sew straight enough.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
here is an example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb3qmsNbTqE

I actually have a special foot to do SID. I compare it to a plough in the field following a row. The little guide follows the seam line.

It really helps to have all the seams pressed to one side when doing SID or the needle wants to jump to the low side. I call that MAD or meandering around the ditch.
Thank you so much. That was great instructions. I guess i am gonna have to get a walking foot.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:00 AM

I have SITD on all my quilts; at least I have something to follow :-) ; haven't had the courage yet to FMQ by that is coming in my next one. I have found that if I have trouble staying in the ditch I just need to slow down a little bit or adjust the weight of my quilt. I've had to pull a few threads but if I use a neutral color I don't really worry about it because it "fades" in to the background.