Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about SITD >

question about SITD

question about SITD

Old 02-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Now that I know what SITD is. What is FMQ?
Old 02-05-2010, 02:04 PM

FMQ is Free Motion Quilting.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:55 AM

Definitely not a SID expert, but find that any sewing machine quilting (don't have a long arm :-< ) is made 100% easier/better by using my Machinger gloves. Plus, they save hand fatigue!

Until you get a SID foot, might try a narrow zipper foot - the kind that rides on the outside of the zipper - that will give you good visibity for your seam and let the foot ride to one side of your seam. Good luck, have fun!

Love this forum!!
Old 02-06-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by flybreit
Until you get a SID foot, might try a narrow zipper foot - the kind that rides on the outside of the zipper - that will give you good visibity for your seam and let the foot ride to one side of your seam. Good luck, have fun!

Love this forum!!
Great Idea!! Hadn't thought of that - I don't have a walking foot for my Singer (but I do for my Bernina!). When the Bernina's embroidering I'm planning on working with the Singer - now I can SITD with that one a lot easier than with a regular foot. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-06-2010, 09:06 AM

Learned a lot (but not enough!) from my grandmother whose only machine ever was a treadle and my mother who tailored beautiful garments on nothing but a Featherweight.

Both of their machines live in my sewing room with hopes their skills will pass to me. Maybe someday!

That zipper foot idea works really well when using SID to finish a machine binding.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by flybreit
Definitely not a SID expert, but find that any sewing machine quilting (don't have a long arm :-< ) is made 100% easier/better by using my Machinger gloves. Plus, they save hand fatigue!

Love this forum!!
Two great ideas I'd not thought of. I'll be sandwiching my quilt in the next couple of days, so I'll try the zipper foot for my machine and give SID another go.

Thank you
Old 02-06-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I have seen message board members talk about SITD. Can anyone explain this to me. My Grandmother used to do this but she liked to keep her secrets secrets. She took everything to the grave with her. No food recipes, No quilting patterns not a thing. Not even when I would ask her to show me something. She would just show up at my home with it already done.
I would appreciate any help with this.
If you have pressed your seam allowance to one side, the ditch will be as close as possible to the seam on the side that DOES NOT have the seam allowances. Use a thread that blends with the "ditch" side not the other side. If your stitching jumps to the side with the seam allowances, you'll see it right away as it looks like topstitching.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:01 PM

I have seen some quilts done with the stitched zig zag, lengthened out so that it becomes a wavy line. It works great on baby quilts that get laundered regularly.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 PM

I use my open toe embroidery foot on my Pfaff 2030, and try to stay on the "low side" of the seam, that is not the side with the seam allowance. Like anything else, practice, practice! I'm actually pretty good at it now, after about 10 years of practice...lol. I also do alot of quilting on the diagonal with blue painters tape, you stitch along the side, but not on the tape...takes tweesers to remove stitched on tape.

Sue
Old 02-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Thank You everyone for the great advice. It is amazing the amount of knowledge that can be found on these threads. I have learned a lot even before I joined, before I just to read the comments.
Thanks again.
Carrie