Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-25-2010, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
So today my stepson enlisted our help in getting his sister to give him the sewing machine she had gotten from their grandmother & never uses. She wants to sell it, he wants it for sentimental reasons & because he does sew. I asked what kind it was & when she replied "Singer Featherweight" I about died. Told her NO she can't sell it & YES she should give to her brother!! He said he was so glad he said something to us! So, I think the end of the story will be that he will have saved another Featherweight & will keep it in the family. Yay!
Keep that Featherweight! It would be awesome to hear that he is sewing with it.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S
Thank you for sharing these site. I have a problem watching u-tube. It freezes up on me and will not advance. .

Do you have a current version of Flash Player?
Old 12-26-2010, 12:11 AM

I have my grandmother's Singer, I believe it was mfg in 1896. It has all of its accessories but the cord is broken and part of the needle plate is missing.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-147869.jpe   attachment-147870.jpe   attachment-147871.jpe  
Old 12-26-2010, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by ljorange
I have my grandmother's Singer, I believe it was mfg in 1896. It has all of its accessories but the cord is broken and part of the needle plate is missing.
Beautiful cabinet and machine. Do you mean treadle belt when you say that the cord is broken or do you mean a cord to an external motor? Looks like you are missing the treadle belt which can easily be replaced. Billy may be able to help you with your missing plate. I think it is way cool that your grandmother used this machine and now you can too.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:55 AM

My grandmother only used it to turn my grandpa's collars and cuffs but my mom used it a lot in her teens, made dresses for herself and her sisters. I learned to use it when I was about 10. Yes, it's just the treadle belt that is broken. I have it though and it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to fix.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:03 AM

My grandmother only used it to turn my grandpa's collars and cuffs but my mom used it a lot in her teens, made dresses for herself and her sisters. I learned to use it when I was about 10. Yes, it's just the treadle belt that is broken. I have it though and it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to fix.
Awesome! The belts are easy to replace or fix. Have fun sewing with this once you find the plate.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:09 AM

[quote=misseva][quote=vintagemotif][quote=misseva]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by misseva
ok - now I know it's Christmas and you're probably full & sleepy but someone PLEASE go to page 492 and look at my pix of the La Reine Coffin Top Treadle. I can't find anything on the internet. I did find a number on the plate that goes over the shuttle bobbin and it's 2929792 and on that same plate it lists the size of thread/needle to use. It's driving me c-r-a-z-y!!!!!
Misseva
I came across a Davis "Honeymoon" machine, its treadle looks just like yours and the machines decals are just like your machine. It is the first machine on left, click on photo to enlarge.

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/collect...es-281857.html
Old 12-26-2010, 02:00 AM

Does this site help? http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...sewing-machine
Old 12-26-2010, 06:00 AM

Cabinet is in BEAUTIFUL condition, and the machine looks well-used and well taken care of. As much as I like the LOOK of a pristine machine, I far prefer to sew on one that shows it's age. The well-used ones generally sew far better--the mechanism is "loose" and easy to treadle or crank. The ones in better cosmetic condition tend to be a little harder to use. Sometimes I think that's why they're in such good condition to begin with!
Both the belt and the front slide plate are easy to get and inexpensive. If you are lucky enough to have a sewing machine shop in town, check there first. If not, there are great places online to find them.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:08 AM

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=misseva][quote=vintagemotif]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
ok - now I know it's Christmas and you're probably full & sleepy but someone PLEASE go to page 492 and look at my pix of the La Reine Coffin Top Treadle. I can't find anything on the internet. I did find a number on the plate that goes over the shuttle bobbin and it's 2929792 and on that same plate it lists the size of thread/needle to use. It's driving me c-r-a-z-y!!!!!
Misseva
I came across a Davis "Honeymoon" machine, its treadle looks just like yours and the machines decals are just like your machine. It is the first machine on left, click on photo to enlarge.

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/collect...es-281857.html
You are right--it is most definitely a Davis Model M. I have had both a Minnesota C and a K, so should have recognized this. I don't remember if it takes a regular 15 x 1 needle or a Davis long (1 x 2). Is there a needle in it?