Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advise Machine Quilting Table Top >

Advise Machine Quilting Table Top

Advise Machine Quilting Table Top

Old 04-29-2010, 04:40 PM

Hi - newbie to quilting here....need some help please - the directions says to "quilt as desired" - I don't have any desire except to finish the table runner

Can anyone offer some suggestions for machine quilting ...stitch in ditch etc - not sure how to proceed

(Picture of table runner is attached)

thanks in advance

Table Top Picture
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24415[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-24415.gif  
Old 04-29-2010, 04:52 PM

OMG you are too funny. Don't have any suggestions on how you can quilt this as I am new too.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by T-Bones mom
OMG you are too funny. Don't have any suggestions on how you can quilt this as I am new too.
I am such a visual person, I have been searching the Web for hours and all the patterns say the same thing......."quilt as desired"

I am on a waiting list to take a basic quilting class, but am trying to learn by doing anything that says "beginners, easy, and especially super super easy.......but they all have "quilt as desired"!!!!
Old 04-29-2010, 05:05 PM

I've been quilting for about 15 years and I still cringe at
that "quilt as desired" phrase!
Old 04-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

At the top of this Board is the words "search" Click it and type in Quilt as Desired and there are several threads on the subject. This might help.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:22 PM

Welcome to the board and the wonderful world of quilting. I have many table runners from that pattern and just quilt in the ditch. Use a walking foot, have the batting and backing a tad larger than the top. That way you have wiggle room. When you are done, trim the batting/backing the same as the top. Now do the binding.

piney
Old 04-29-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by pinecone
Welcome to the board and the wonderful world of quilting. I have many table runners from that pattern and just quilt in the ditch. Use a walking foot, have the batting and backing a tad larger than the top. That way you have wiggle room. When you are done, trim the batting/backing the same as the top. Now do the binding.

piney
thanks, Piney.......just needed a little push.........
Old 04-29-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
At the top of this Board is the words "search" Click it and type in Quilt as Desired and there are several threads on the subject. This might help.
Will give it a try, erstan947, you sure have been helpful today - thanks
Old 04-29-2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by pinecone

piney
Don't forget to "baste" ... I use safety pins, some people use needle and thread ... I will be interested to see what you find out. <wave>
Old 04-29-2010, 11:01 PM

I think it would look cool if you did stitch in the ditch for it all except the center and then if you have an embroidery machine, hoop it and put a pretty design in the center. If you don't have an embroidery machine use a large decorative stitch from your machine for the center motiff.